Springs

CMF_DJGazMan

» CMF Member
I've just had some lowering springs fitted to my car but I'm unsure if they're on the right ends and also the correct way up. I have got the 2 springs that are wound closer together at one end, on the back with the closely wound coils at the bottom. The ohther two are one the front. They seem to be wound evenly. Do I have them on the right ends and the correct way up?

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
The fronts are fine, however the backs are on upside down.

They are called progressive rate springs and as you compress them, they get firmer. The smaller coils need to be at the top.

Sean

cisco

» CMF Member
I'd heard in the past that the close end needs to be at the bottom.

However I really don't see why it makes a difference.
You have a load compresssing a spring from both ends.

The softest part of a progressive spring is always going to compress first, regardless of which end the load was source from. Its effectively a load from both ends when it meets the resistance of the car's weight.

I don't think you will notice anything by having them either way. Even one one way and the other the other way.

CMF_DJGazMan

» CMF Member
It does drive OK but the front is slightly higher than the back. I've heard Micra owners stress this before though as the front springs are longer to start with, hence many people buying custom drops with it being slammed more at the front to even it out.

So you guys think I should leave it with the smaller coils at the bottom?

PS I have just been on a 500+ mile round trip and encountered no problems with them. Most of it was motorway driving though... Gave them a chance to be in I suppose though :)

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
i dont think it was different. not parked on a slight slope?
but i did have a totally stripped out rear so the extra weight of standard kit may bring it down tiny bti. nothing to be worried about anyway. it will actually give you a more balanced weight distribution.

CMF_DJGazMan

» CMF Member
I actually do like it so there is no worries. It flies around the corners even with the standard wheels on. I'm waiting for some Almera 14" Alloys so that should be even better :)

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
In theory under load the whole spring moves and gets shorter as it compresses. When the closer coils touch (coil binding) they become solid and hence a dead weight (spring becomes stiffer). If you put them at the top then they don't have to move up and down with the axle under higher suspension loads (coil binding), ie reduced unsprung weight. However a pair of springs weighs about 4 kilos so the effect of a couple of hundred grams of weight should be negligible. So put make sure you have they up the same way on both sides and get lighter wheels and tyres :) LWC

Back