Cheap 6x9's

L

LK1

Dont even touch them, the power rating is BS. 500w my arse, they'd never take that!

A pair of the lower spec'd Pioneers/Alpines/JBL's (very good for money)/Mutants should do you fine :).

You should be able to get a decentish pair for £30ish.

What is your budget? I have some cheap 6x9's that I havent used for ages if you want them?

I bought some cheap Alpines off ebay for around £30. Nothing flashy, but they sound good to me, but im no expert.

i got my infinity 6x9's for a bargain of 30-40 (cant remember exactly) from halfrauds, worth every penny :) but dont pay more than that for 6x9's cos theyre not really worth it

dont take max power into account when buying speakers, look at the rms rating (the average output) cos thats the real sign of quality in speakers (and you'll notice that ad doesn't give an rms rating:wasntme: )

ii have a brand new set of jvc 6x9's deasant enough paid 40 will sell them never used
a pair of ok condition hifonics 6x9's
a ok pair of sony 6x9's
also a alpine amp pretty much brand new if any1 is interested plz emal me for details [email protected] cheers

Thanks alot ppl, I've got a budget for a new system of £200-£300 but that icludes head unit which i can plug my mp3 to, speakers and an amp. Though I don't know if i should get an amp or not. Anyone have any recomendations? Another point if i did get 6x9's i am gonna ave 2 make my own parcel shelf as i dont have one, anyone have any advice on that matter?

if i had that much for a system I'd be getting some components in the doors and amping them up and then seeing if i could get sub set up. Theres a lot of arguments for doing it this way but basically its better if the sound is front of you, like when you go to a gig and dont stand with your back to the band...

whatever you do you should amp them, the quality will be much better than using the head unit amp :)

ive got some Infinity Kappa Comp 6x9's.... 450W RMS...haha..
powered by a Vibe BB1..... they are actualy too loud for my system... all i can hear is mid range and trbble.... even with a 12 and a 10 i can only hear them if i turn the amp down on the 6x9's...

mind you its all about positioning and enclosure design...:wasntme:

surely that depends how high-end he wants to go? Im not planning on spending more than that on my system, it won't be competition class but its better than standard...

To get an mp3 headunit, amp, front speakers, subwoofer, wiring kit, etc for under £300 is rather tricky, even on budget gear!

thanx wilsonian,:wasntme:

ii werent plannin on selling just thought if the lad needed some 6x9's he might be interested but cheers for advice

well im not after something top end, and i understand that the sub and component speakers is the best but more expensive route, hence why i was thinking of getting 6x9s but, i know u can get smaller sized 3way speakers that would far easily fit into the doors, would they be worth giving a go?
I was only thinking of a cheap headunit like this http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4788&cadid=4bae5586bdd77626f40abcb7a7318532

That should leave me with suffiecient money for some speakers and amp if necessary i would have thought

Retepetsir said:
You wont get much for £300 including the mp3 headunit, unless you go second hand :)
i managed to pick a head unit that you can plug an mp3 player into or even just a memory stick - or even an SD card into for £70-£80 - cant remember exactly how much

nothing special (think its called "silvercrest") in make sense but its spot on - no complaints

arent they coming down in price anyway? surely its pos to get a decent system for the budget this guy has?!

i got a similar head unit, aux in mp3 and sd card in etc for 80 quid, gonna get comps for about 60, amp for around a hundred, and a vibe fli sub for 100, about the budget and a good starter system, easily doable at that!

from www.caraudiocentre.co.uk

TS G1709 Dual Cone 170 Watts 6.5" (£21.99)
Pioneer TS A6900 6 x 9 (£24.99)
KFC W300S Sub with Bass Box and Sony XM222 Amplifier (£69.99)
XM 444 444W 4 Channel Amplifier (£59.99)
IPW1000 amplifier wiring kit - 1000W (£14.99)
In Phase IPS 925MP CD / MP3 Player (£99.99)

Total £305 inc Vat and delivery

Now thats not bad considering what you get! Complete setup including head unit, amps, speakers and sub.

The only thing extra that would be needed is two stereo phono leads.

But you get what you pay for, I mean its going to kick arse when compared to the original stock system, but its not going to compare to a competition system.

It may be worth building your system up over time if you don’t mind spending more money on it in the long run. Retepetsir will be able to advise you on the best quality components, that you could consider.

One thing I will say is that InPhase HU seems a bargin, the only thing it doesn’t have is a CD changer input. It has 3 Preouts and Aux in, it even boasts 60W X 4 (MPO) built in amp .

thanks for the response, if i was to build it over time what sort of price do u think i would end up spending for a top end setup as i am rather into my music and hate the fact my car system cant do it justice

andrewb150 said:
from www.caraudiocentre.co.uk

TS G1709 Dual Cone 170 Watts 6.5cm (£21.99)
Pioneer TS A6900 6 x 9 (£24.99)
KFC W300S Sub with Bass Box and Sony XM222 Amplifier (£69.99)
XM 444 444W 4 Channel Amplifier (£59.99)
IPW1000 amplifier wiring kit - 1000W (£14.99)
In Phase IPS 925MP CD / MP3 Player (£99.99)

Total £305 inc Vat and delivery

Now thats not bad considering what you get! Complete setup including head unit, amps, speakers and sub.

The only thing extra that would be needed is two stereo phono leads.

But you get what you pay for, I mean its going to kick arse when compared to the original stock system, but its not going to compare to a competition system.

It may be worth building your system up over time if you don’t mind spending more money on it in the long run. Retepetsir will be able to advise you on the best quality components, that you could consider.

One thing I will say is that InPhase HU seems a bargin, the only thing it doesn’t have is a CD changer input. It has 3 Preouts and Aux in, it even boasts 60W X 4 (MPO) built in amp .

Wtf is a KFC sub, is it made out of used KFC megabuckets or something?! :laugh:

Also, those amps are terrible, and 'In Phase' are their own brand. CAC are terrible and seriously rip people off. They will advertise something at a really low price, say an Alpine subwoofer, then state that they have none in stock (they didnt to begin with), substitute the Alpine for their own In Phase product and make a shed load of profit off of it grr.

LK1, you can spend anywhere from a couple of hundred, to thousands. A friend of mine recently setup his own system using some really decent 2nd hand gear, and did the whole lot for under £300. It sounds amazing for the price.

£300-£400 should get you a decent system.

I suggest:

- 1 x 4-Channel Amp plus wiring kit
- 1 x 12" Subwoofer and sealed box
- 1 x Set of 6.5" components for the front of the car
- 1 x Decent source/headunit

The multichannel amp can run the components from 2 channels, then have the other 2 channels bridged together to power a subwoofer.

I will see what I can organise in terms of a decent kit to start out with :)

Retepetsir said:
Wtf is a KFC sub, is it made out of used KFC megabuckets or something?! :laugh:
I just cut and paste that from their basket system! lol

Retepetsir said:
A friend of mine recently setup his own system using some really decent 2nd hand gear, and did the whole lot for under £300.
Sometimes you can get a bargain, other times you might buy a lemon!

Retepetsir said:
CAC are terrible and seriously rip people off.
Ive never had any trouble with them, maybe ive just been lucky.

LK1 said:
what sort of price do u think i would end up spending for a top end setup
The Skys the limit... you could easily spend your £300 budget on one item.

Then you would need to upgrade the alternator as well. ;)

£1400 on a battery... who in their right mind would spend that much on a battery for a Micra.

thanks alot for the advise guys, rite ill look into the route of sub and components instead of some simple 6x9s. I appreciate the help, im currently discussing about buy an old alpine sub off a friend, but he is a bit slow. So hopefully ill get that and then my system can start to take shape

You need something that will give around 200w RMS at 4 ohms.

So I guess you are looking for:

- An amp for the subwoofer
- A wiring kit for the amp
- Some front component speakers

Anything else? Let me know your final budget left over and I will see what I can do!

well i got a load of wires with the sub and dont think ill need the wiring kit! Im after some front components now and a 4channel amp, which you advised to give out 200w rms at 4ohms with 2 channels bridged, leaving me with the other 2 channels to power my components. I have about £150 for the components and amp, but could at a push squeeze it to £200

When I save up some cash I think Ill get the 5 Channel one they do for £150ish

Back