Changing cv boot with parkside impact driver

Hi folks, Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.
I am about to change a c v rubber outer boot and was wondering if anyone had done this with a parkside impact driver. Was wondering if anyone had used one to get the strut nuts under and if it was short enough to get in there. It is about 10 inches long and if that is too long to get in under the arch, then would consider getting a shorter one. Anyone used a 10 inches long to undo the two strut nut/bolts?
>Many thanks anyhows.

Hi folks, Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.
I am about to change a c v rubber outer boot and was wondering if anyone had done this with a parkside impact driver. Was wondering if anyone had used one to get the strut nuts under and if it was short enough to get in there. It is about 10 inches long and if that is too long to get in under the arch, then would consider getting a shorter one. Anyone used a 10 inches long to undo the two strut nut/bolts?
>Many thanks anyhows.

Not a job for a novice & a hard challenge for a determined competent DIY repairer at home without access to a lift ramp that I learned when doing two CV boots on my 25 year old K11.

Gadgets are of little useful impact, just a set of combination spanners, full socket set up to 22mm together with a soft 5 LB lump hammer.

Correction: To release the drive shaft from the spider hub, from memory a 28mm or 30mm socket is reqd.

Listed below are some of the tutorial videos that I found most useful!

Learning & taking detail notes were the easy enjoyable bit. The physical doing was anything but easy.

Good luck.

Google search: Video: K11 Micra CV BooT Replacement Method

Last edited:
Or,
Take the disc and caliper off, cut the old boot off, place mole grips on driveshaft in recess the boot sits in, tap shaft inwards using a bar on the grips to release the shaft from the CV, take bottom strut bolts out, pull shaft free from outer CV, slide new boot on and tap shaft back in CV, slide and fix boot in place, replace strut bolts
:)

Sounds & looks easy in one sentence without indication of the bear traps & pitfalls for the average home DIY repairer.

To release the drive shaft from the spider hub, from memory a 28mm or 30mm socket is reqd.

My local garages would do a CV boot renewal for £120 including VAT, & next time I would let them do it & avoid all the home DIY hassle. ;)

Sounds & looks easy in one sentence without indication of the bear traps & pitfalls for the average home DIY repairer.

To release the drive shaft from the spider hub, from memory a 28mm or 30mm socket is reqd.

My local garages would do a CV boot renewal for £120 including VAT, & next time I would let them do it & avoid all the home DIY hassle. ;)
I never touched the nut, all that can stay in place, including the bottom ball-joint and track-rod-end, no need to touch them.

I never touched the nut, all that can stay in place, including the bottom ball-joint and track-rod-end, no need to touch them.

Why aye, man!

Short cut way to go. I will try it if I ever get lumbered with CV boot renewal again.

I had to lump hammer hit my cv hard repeatedly to get it to separate from the drive shaft & much dismantling to create space required to swing my hammer with much cussing & bruised hands.

Not an easy DIY job for a novice & on your knees too boot. :(

Back