micra bubble cv boot and joint

M

manuals786

hi guys new here was recommended by one of the regulars K11_Dave to find out if any one can help me here. He speaks highly of everyone.....

I have a just purchased a T reg bubble micra for city travle, but have noticed that the CV boot is ripped and just done with. Does any one know how youg o about chnging this boot with out having to buy a manual...like a link on a website somewhere? costs ?

id be grateful for any assistance

cheers guys

K11_Dave humm.. dodgey character from what I can tell!
naaa... kidding great lad!

CV boot, I was gonna do it myself once but my MOTer said they'll do it, cost about £10 plus boot price. Shouldn't be a pricey thing if it's just the boot that's ripped.

To do yourself you have to remove brake and wheel hub, if you don't have the tools and if the bolts have never been loosened it might be hard!

Good luck and welcome to MSC

Advice I received off a good mechie and I've followed it ever since. Is, if you are replacing items such as; Timing Belts, CV boots (moving synthetic rubber part) etc. always use an agents product. It will cost more for the part but it's cheaper in the long run, when you consider the possible damage and labour a cheapo will cost if it doesn't run the course.

pretty easy to do mate,

get it up on axle stand,take wheel off,remove hub from driveshaft,,you will see which bolts to undo,(and if you cant tell which ones to undo you really shouldnt be doing it and take it to a garage imo) once thats removed you can get to the boot,take it off check no stones have got up in the cos it will damge it if you leave dirt/stones in ther,,fit your new boot and pack with grease(cv boot grease,,not just any old grease,i think its hight temp stuff),make sure you get clips on properly,some people use tie wraps but the metal ones shud be used really.the hub bak on and wheel,,drop off axle stand,,and wait for other side to go :)

EDIT: try not to break the buterfly pin thats goes thru the end of driveshaft,,they break pretty easy,and dont hammer the end of driveshaft to get it through the hub,,threads WILL damage even if you jus tap it ,and its a bugger to fix(trust me i did it with both sides :) )

Hi fella, glad you found us ok! The guys on here should be able to help with most things - enjoy your stay!

Going to do my outer CV boots tomorrow, from what I can make out from here and the haynes manual is to get the wheel and disk off, take off the nut in the middle of the hub, ball joint and there's another bolt at the bottom. This should allow me to pull the hub and its carrier away from the driveshaft and allow me to remove the old boot and put on the new one.

Now, does this seem right? Anything I've missed? are there any small components going to go flying out and get lost? Anyone in the Harlow area fancy giving me a hand in return for a slab of beer?

ok take the wheel off,
undo the big nut on the driveshaft,
undo the 2 suspension bolts that go though the wheel hub you may have to remove the clip that holds the brake pipe to the suspension,
then move the hub down and push the driveshaft out
if the driveshaft is tight put the big nut on a few threads and give it a wack that way you wont damage the threads

now for the messy part
take off the cv joint by holding it up and tapping it from behind on the lip it should come off,
take off the old cv boot
put the clip that goes closer to the gearbox on the new boot and then slide both on together but dont crimp it yet,
use a bit of grease to centre the c clip on the driveshaft, THATS important by the way or you could mess up the joint,
then i put half to one bag of grease in the joint itself,
then out the joint on the driveshaft making sure the splines are lined up do this by turning the joint untill you feel it line up with the driveshaft,
then hoping the c clip hasnt moved hold the joint straight to the driveshaft with the big nut on the joint give it a tap it should go on and clip in, if it doesnt go in easy ish check the c clip is centred,
once its on move it around to make sure its free moving,
peel back the boot and put as much cv grease as you can in to the boot,
use the metal band to secure the boot as cable ties are useless and will come off letting the grease out,
now once the big metal band is tight and secure now you can crimp the clip closer to the gearbox,

then put it all back in the hub etc and make sure every bolt and nut it tight torque them if you have a torque wrench

Groovy, cheers for the extra info, should make things a bit easier. I wasn't ready for the circlip but I'm sure I'll get it sussed :)

Back