Central Locking - adding a remote fob

I have a 1998 facelift 1.0 GX with central locking operating from both front door key locks. I would like to have remote controlled locking - I did a search in this database and pulled up this thread:
https://www.micra.org.uk/posts/523965/

I tried the turning the ignition on and off 6 times but the hazards do not flash - makes me think either there is something wrong with the system or maybe it never had this function, however I have what looks like a Nissan branded alarm unit under the bonnet with 2 wire 'antennas' coming from it.

My Haynes manual does not show wiring diagrams/fuse positions for the remote option.

Can anyone help ?

You tried this method?

1. Turn the ignition switch from Position 0 to ON 6 times within 10 seconds.
2. Then turn ignition switch to OFF position. Leave key in ignition switch.
3. After 2 seconds, the system will enter programming mode and will flash the warning
lights twice.
4. Press and HOLD the unlock button on the Plip.
5. While pressing the unlock button, press the lock button 3 times in succession quickly.
6. Release the unlock button.
7. The warning lights will flash once to indicate successful programming.
8. Repeat procedure 4 to 7 for up to 4 plip key’s.
9. When completed turn ignition ON, and the warning lights will flash 2 times.
10. Remove key, and check all plip key’s for operation.

Hi Agent_Sm1th

Thank you for the procedure - I was using this and found the following :

1. Turn the ignition switch from Position 0 to ON 6 times within 10 seconds. - I did this.
2. Then turn ignition switch to OFF position. Leave key in ignition switch. - I did this.
3. After 2 seconds, the system will enter programming mode and will flash the warning
lights twice. - The warning lights (neither hazards or alarm led) did not flash twice - system did not go into programming mode.

So I tried altering the timings of my ignition 'switchings' and, after a lot of faffing, found that if I did it as fast as I could - completed the 6 times on/off - in about 5 seconds, then the system will enter programming mode.

OK - next step - getting the remote fob to 'talk' to the system, - again, I needed to be very quick with the timing of the fob button pressing, so

4. Press and HOLD the unlock button on the Plip. - OK
5. While pressing the unlock button, press the lock button 3 times in succession quickly. Has to be done is less than 2 seconds otherwise is not recognised.
6. Release the unlock button. OK
7. The warning lights will flash once to indicate successful programming. OK

I can now program remote fobs correctly on my car.

Thanks Agent_Sm1th

Glad you're sorted.
Yes you're correct, it all has to be done rather quickly. What Nissan also fail to say, is that if you do it incorrectly when adding fobs, it wipes all the fobs and you have to reprogramme any fobs that were working previously.
What I found to be easier was to separate the key part from the fob so I wasn't fiddling around behind the steering wheel.

Back