Central Locking Remote Fob Not Working

I

Izak

I've had my 1998 Micra for two years and have had trouble using the central locking remote fob. When I first went to see the car at the garage the sales man used it and it worked fine, the next time I went the remote didn't work and the garage went to find and fix the problem. When I bought and brought home my car the remote worked fine for a good few weeks then all of a sudden stopped working, I have to lock my car with the key and while this isn't any trouble, it would be useful to be able to use the remote fob.

I searched the internet for support and found some instructions on how to register the remotes with the car (swithing the ignition key on/off six times) but this didn't work, I have since found a post on the internet about someone elses Micra doing the same thing and if a certain fuse is removed and put back it will reset the system but there was no indication on which was the fuse.

Can anyone advise? Thanks.

I've already tried new batteries in both my remote fobs but they both still don't work.

is it an infared remote or a radio one?

cos it could be radio interferance or the sun shining on the infared reciver...

that would explain why it works fine at the garage but not at home?

its a long shot.... if it was me i'd take it to nissan :)

How do you recode them, I've tried the ignition switch on/off six times and then press the remote button, that didn't work...

I know this sounds a bit silly but I can't seem to find how to add a picture to my post from my hard drive, I can add one from a website but not from my hard drive, it says 'You may not add attachments' at the bottom of my page, is this because I'm a newbie?

Anyway I'll try and describe it to you. Its black with a 'red' lock button and 'black' unlock button its made by Siemens for Nissan and has the code 5WK4 600 on the back it also takes two Panasonic CR 1620 batteries.

I'll also found this text from a website (my car hasn't got an alarm just remote central locking)

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_7971.html

The car has the additional NATS (Nissan Anti Theft System) alarm fitted - this utilises the cars horn as a siren which is quite poor. However, it does provide a handy remote central locking facility. This has failed on over 10 occasions. The failure results in the fact that the remote key fob, when used disables/enables the alarm system but does not unlock the car.

It has been back to the dealer (Brincars Nissan in Staffordshire) on numerous occasions. Although they have provided a fast, polite and efficient service they have failed to solve the actual problem - providing only a short term fix. This is even the case after a replacement alarm control module. Removing the fuse that allows power to the system seems to reset the module and cause it to function correctly. However this is inconvenient - and I am led to believe that this is an inherent problem with no cure.

I don't even have central locking :p and my passengers door lock was changed so have a differnt key for both doors. So you're complaint ain't too bad ;)

Ah so its not actually a problem with the remote because the remote is switching the alarm off :)

so the problem is somewhere between the alarm and the central locking unit.

does the central locking work every time when you use the key?

i think you have got a dodgy door lock in one of your doors, next time you lock the car go round and check every door is locked and do the same for unlocked, if ones not locked or not unlocked try replacing that door lock motor and it might fix your fault

also look right under the dash and check that all the little boxes have their plugs pluged in :)

but like fordy said it could be the door solinoid on the driver's side... does it make the click sound of the locks actuating?

All the doors lock fine when I lock the car with my key just like they did with the central locking. When it didn't work at the garage, they said they'd reset the module or something in the actual car. My car isn't alarmed (that was a post I found on another website). It does make a 'clunk' when I lock the car though...

Back