Central locking actuator wiring

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hi people

My drivers door actuator has 5 wires coming out of it, and i need to alter the wiring to make the actuator work the opposite way round, for example, inwards when i press the unlock button instead of outwards.

If these mechanisms are fairly standard, can someone advise which wires would need to be crossed over? I think i have a orange, white, black, blue & green

Cheers people
Arnold.

do you not have the original instruction's mate? it sounds exactly like the locking system i had on my k10 so they are probably quite standardized, have you googled it for some diagrams?

have you got a sepate remote unit for this central locking? (attaches to aculator control box)
or are you just replacing a part from the existing system?

I have remote locking, but i just need to alter the actuator so it fires the opposite way. I've just bought another one anyway for about 6 quid which should come with instructions and help me out

if it is the same brand aculator (new one) as your working acculator (in the oppisite door) then copy the wire set up for that,
if not you could either look at the working one's wires for clues or do some experimentation
You could try using the battery from a cordless drill or similer appliance to help, or maybe even a multimeter?

(normally you have a wire for positive and negative and the two signal wires, find which ones are the signal wires and reverse them)

Automerge is a pain in the backside sometimes!!

Its no doubt a different brand, but they're pretty universal things. They all do the same thing, the drivers side ones all have 5 wires. Its this im a bit unsure about as im not sure which ones to swap. I dont want to fry the motor or anything, and i certainly dont want to nacker my new one! Should be here soon, then i can reverse it and put it back on :)

-------

Ok, im having a nightmare with this! I tried changing a few wires around and doing different combinations but it wasn't giving me the effect i want. If i disconnect the power and move the actuator's position to where i want it, on applying power it just shoots back.

If anyone knows the 5 wire style actuators im referring to, can you please tell me what each wire does?

------

Just found out what they are, just incase anyone else wants to know

The lock/unlock wires are:

Green: Lock
Blue: Unlock

Basically if you connect the blue wire to +12V and the green to ground it will extend and then stay in that position when power is removed, then if you reverse the connections it will retract again, and again will stay in that position.

The other three wires oare for the built in switch. Black is common , white is connected to common when the solenoid fully extended and brown is connected to common when it is retracted.

you should have bought one of the 2 wire ones from miplin electronics.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=12304&criteria=central%20locking&doy=13m6
simple 2 wires (i have 1 in my boot) blue and green, if it works in the opposite way reverse the wires simple ish...

The two wire ones are for passenger doors only. The master actuator has 5.

I've replaced my drivers side one and it's all working fine, however the passenger one has stopped working!! arrgh nightmare. I cant even unlock the door with the key, so im not sure whats happened there. *Sigh*

sorry i misread it i somehow got the impression that you wanted it for the boot???? it might be the lock mechansim, take the door card off and have a look.
The only reason the drivers one is a 5 wire one is because it has a switch in it so that when you turn the key it unlocks all of the other doors, so i 2 wire one will still work in the passanger door. is it remote locking?

Yeah remote locking mate. You can also push the button down in the car and it has the same effect, unlocks the passenger side, but it's no longer doing this! So damn frustrating!! As my door cards have custom baffles, its so much faff to remove each one!

Back