car wont start - help

I suspect the starter motor has gone, however this a description of the symptoms

M reg

been in garage for a week, taken out - used, fairly cold night,
but then started or rather didn't with a noise.
The starter wasn't turning.
Just a noise you might expect from something that sounds like
its stuck, like when you have not enough batts for it to turn around....

hmm wondering if it could be the battery...!

if you hear a werrring noise before you've started the car then that's the fuel pump....

if its been sitting for long enough then it probably needs a jump start...

Ok thanks for the response, I need some jump leads so off I go!
isn't the fuel pump replaced on a service? if so I might just get the thing serviced!

Ok thanks for the response, I need some jump leads so off I go!
isn't the fuel pump replaced on a service? if so I might just get the thing serviced!

no, thats the fuel filter... the pumps are pretty hardcore, they keep going so there is rarely a need to replace them...

how long has it been sitting and do you have any after market stuff that could have drained the battery like an alarm?

His first post says it was garaged for a week

Could it be that fuse issue where it needs to be removed, car turned over, then reinserted?

nope, its overdue for a service though!!!
I'll try jump starting it tonight and let you know I got on!

btw whats the fuse issue? fuse removed, if so which one? (my haines manual went with when I sold my other micra! )

ps its my wifes car which is manual! not the auto suggested by my profile!

Top of my head, you remove the fuse for the fuel pump and try start the car for a bit, then re-insert the fuse and try again. I could be totally wrong with this though.

This procedure might not even be the solution, so

<disclaimer>

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the above information or your car blowing up etc as a result

</disclaimer>

Do a search though, you may find a solution, or further information regarding the above.

:doh: yea a week should be fine...

arnold is right, its the fuel pump fuse... you take it out to stop the fuel pump from priming the engine because sometimes with lots of attempted starts, the fuel pump can flood the engine and you need to stop it....

but try jumping it first ;)

after causing sparks similar to that of an angle grinder (!) I realised that what I thought was (+) was actually (-) started my mx5, left it running for a bit
and then turned the ignition, the noise indicated the motor was turning but not igniting probably (cold damp weather!) so after a bit of persistance with my new found battery power, and a prayer, I gave up

only to find there was the quiet pitter patter of the engine running! woo hoo!

thanks for all the advice guys!

ps any ideas on how to reduce this kind of problem with damp?

LMAO yea you don't wanna be getting them + - the wrong way round :)

gald to hear its all running. i think now that its running you have less problems starting it,

as for damp i don't know what part is getting damp...

Back