Micra wont start when damp

Morning, just went to start my micra 1998 and I wont start, it only seems to happen when the weather is damp or cold, its been raining all night so its rather damp out. You can here the starter motor trying to engage but the engine wont turn other. I had the engine coolent senser changed in the winter, but the car only seems not to start when its damp. It also had a fall service im February

The only modifications ive done to it is an induction kit

Please help

Could be the starter motor but if turns over but doesn't star in the damp perhaps the leads or distributor cap need replacing - damp can cause the spark to earth out rather then reaching the plugs if the leads are shot. I'd check all teh eletrical circuit but if all ok then perhaps new/2nd hand starter motor is the answer.

Last edited:
You can here the starter motor trying to engage but the engine wont turn other.
Sorry - do you mean that the starter motor runs, engages with the engine (makes a clunk) but doesn't actually turn the engine over - or that the engine does turn over but doesn't fire up ?
If it's the first then it could be the problem that I had recently - although I'm not too sure why it would happen only when damp - which was simply that the starter motor shaft was dirty and the drive gear wasn't turning fast enough to engage; I had to take the starter motor out , clean the shaft and replace. Rather irritating and fiddly but it worked in my case.
But if the engine isn't firing then as Machinehead says - look at the electrics

Back