car suggestions

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
Hi

Can anyone help?

My sister has just past her driving test and we are looking for a car, however she is a little fussy and i am running out of car suggestions. We are looking for small to mid engine cars(1.0 - 1.4) or cheap first cars?

We have looked at some:

micra sr
Ford KA
corsa sxi

Thanks Paul

K11 gets my vote due to the cost, however it's probably best you tell us which cars your girlie doesnt like first!

i wuld go for a girlie car thats small enigne size and easy to work on!

1. ford ka

2. vw polo

3. vauxhall corsa

4. auston or rover mini (unisex)

What! the K11 is far better than any of those above! (if were talking engines!)

parts for ka's are cheap but they rot badly as do all fords and rovers, corsa's and lupo's are built too cheaply polos are ok but the paint fades badly anything french has unreliable electrics so buy a k11, 1300's are best!

Fiesta and Saxos are also girly cars imo :p

the other thing you have to think about aswell is the insurance for it, basically, if theres a wide ammount of styling/tuning parts available, then they'll automatically assume theres an increased risk

where bouts are you i know some one selling a 1.2L newish shape white clio

in v good nick for its age

would do nicely

failing that get a k10/k11

mk6 fiesta? doesnt look crap and the 1.4 is fairly nippy.

if you want something cheap go for a k11 micra, L - 52 reg if you arent sure on model numbers.

parts for ka's are cheap but they rot badly as do all fords and rovers, corsa's and lupo's are built too cheaply polos are ok but the paint fades badly anything french has unreliable electrics so buy a k11, 1300's are best!

i wouldnt say that, my lupo is much nicer inside then the k11 was.

IMO if your going to get a k11(micra) get a x-52 plate one. bit more nippy and imo abit more reliable too and i dont think they rust as easy (door sills look like they are made of plastic lol!)

that isnt an expert opinion before people comment its my opinion.

if your going to modify the engine alot then go for a k11 thats earlier then an x-reg! (its much more easier on the earlier k11s!)

for some queer-ass reason i cant edit my post but i meant the x-52 plate ones are bit more nippy as standard but are harder to modify.

All the options i said was purely cus i owned all of them cars,lol and found the mini to be the best car all round for tuning and available parts not to mention cheap on insurance and easy to work no yourself!

Fantastic, thanks i'll give these suggestions to her see what she says? thanks again and please keep them coming.

I live in wellingborough northamptonshire.

I'm gonna try and steer her towards the micra as i agree with alot of you its insurable, usually good milage for age and the extras are second to none, also a nippy car.

Thanks again

i wouldnt say that, my lupo is much nicer inside then the k11 was.

what! i drive a k11 and my work has a lupo for deliveries and the lupo is a bag of s### the throttle body, gearbox, starter motor, ignition barrel and fuel pump all broke before 30,000 miles! and the interior is horid, hard seats, lots of metal showing, no electric anything, no central locking. the oly nice part are the clocks!!!

sounds like its a very basic one. If you compare that to a 1.0 L micra, i think you'll find they both have the same lack of equipment. And i guess that one is just a bad car to break so much so quickly, just like some micra's do. Mine has a GTi interior, much nicer.

sounds like its a very basic one. If you compare that to a 1.0 L micra, i think you'll find they both have the same lack of equipment. And i guess that one is just a bad car to break so much so quickly, just like some micra's do. Mine has a GTi interior, much nicer.

gti iterior would be better yes but 1.0l micra is far better standard than 1.0l lupo is standard and yes the lupo gets abuse but so does my micra and that doesnt break!

If I hadnt found my 1.3 Micra I might have gone for a Peugeot 205 1.1 or 1.4, Zetec Fiesta 1.2/1.4, or (cough) Skoda Felicia Lxi. Or in a foolish moment, a Citroen AX GT, fast and cheap but rather lacking in safety features!

Hi

Thanks again

She is hovering about a saxo forte 1.1 v reg with 52000 on the clock anyone had any experiences with one of these?

Thanks Paul

I'd recommend a newish k11 with a 1ltr engine. Can't go wrong with that!

Saxo's - hmmm the 1.1ltr engine isn't the greatest - IIRC they kick out about 50bhp, slightly less than a CG10DE also the build quality isn't top. If she wants to look like every other "girl who has a boy racer boy friend" then get the saxo other wise use your head and get the k11 ;)

i reckon the k11 1littre would be good do so much and she can talk to all of us.
the vw are good to work on its just when they go wrong you need the machine non as 5052 to read the faults.
saxo my couson has they just feel so cheap and going round corners is abit iffy.
i had i ford before the micra and it was solid but not as soild as the nissan.

Paul

If you do decide to "mod" a car - although u may get stick off max power readers the micra with £500 spent on exhaust system will be a very nippy car indeed!

Back