Engine not running smoothely.

CMF_joartech

» CMF Member
I have recently bought a secondhand Micra 1996 1,3 litre CVT. The problem is that the engine do not run smoothely. When acceleration or maintaining speed there is a vibration in the engine. It is just like one of the cylinders are not fire(like the engine runs on three cylinders only)Also when in idle there is a kind of misfire. The power is also reduced. The engine runs smoothely the first 10 seconds when starting cold engine. First I thought it was the throttle body, and bought a re-conditioned on Ebay. Changed and the engine was just the same. Ok, then it must be a ignition problem. Then bought new plugs, plug leads, rotor and cap. Still the same. Then phoned the local Nissan workshop and the waiting list for getting an hour was three weeks, but the serviceman told me to drop in and he could quickly connect the laptop and check for fault messages or problems through the diag. outlet. No problems was discovered by the diagnostic program.
Could it be the re-conditioned throttle body that is not working?

I did the resoldering job on the original throttle body and installed again with the same result.

Is there anyone out there that have an idea what the problem can be?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Did he run a cylinder diagnostics? Basically you can manually shut off each cylinder individually to figure out which cylinder the problem is coming from.

Does the engine have a lack of power or does it hesitate to accelerate? I'm just wondering if mabye the engine is running smoothly but an engine mount is broken and transferring excessive vibrations into the cabin.

Other than that - have you looked at replacing the distributor? I spotted some on ebay.co.uk with no reserver.

Goodluck mate.

CMF_joartech

» CMF Member
I have removed the cap for each spark plug one by one. Can clearly hear/notice that it get worse for every lead removed. As I wrote I have changed the leads and the plugs, so it can single spot problem, it must be common. Anyhow, the engine mounts are ok, and it runs smooth the first ten seconds. The virations are so strong that it is almost impossible to see anything in the rear view mirror. I have not changed the distributor. I talked to the local Nissan dealer, and when he saw in the transaction history for the distrubutors, no one had been sold/changed. I know the coil can cause such a problem, but unfortunately Nissan only sell the distributor complete till a price of 700 USD.

CMF_solarice

» CMF Member
if you can get your hands on a ohmmeter and a haynes manual you can check the resistance of the primary and secondary sections of the distributors ignition ht coil...that'll help you narrow down a fault in that area, plus its cheaper than a new dizzy, take it you cant get one from a scrap yard near you ?

Back