car crash

my car got hit and was sent off to the big yard
everyone is fine

today I picked up a 96 1.0/5speed micra, 275gbp
its has 93k miles on it
the body is super clean besides a dent in the rear hatch lid
it even has a new replacement front engine crossmember on it
the only problem the car has so far is the throw-out bearing is making a ugly sound,
but the clutch drives fine, so I plan to pull the box tomorrow to check it out
and if I can get away with just doing the bearing I will, if not then it will be a full clutch job

I was planning to change the gearbox oil
and do a oil change and fuel filter change

I turn wrenches for a living so its not a big deal to me
I got two days to get the job done and make the car driveable for work on Tuesday

That's taking the rat look to a whole new level. Get some rust on there and it's show-worthy. Glad you walked away from it though, how did it happen?

My wife was driving it, ran a yield light

The new micra has a noisy gearbox, put the new clutch in, and new box oil, the sound coming from the box isn't as loud now
But it still makes sound, but I'm just gonna drive it

drove the micra to work for the 1st time today
the box pops out of 3rd and 5th gear
in a 5 mile trip, it popped out of 3rd gear 3 times, and 5th 2 times

seems like this box has some problems inside of it

time to replace it with a used box

my current k11 had gear noise joakwin when we bought it in 99 (accident damaged) but when i changed the g/box about 8 yrs later it was still the same ??
it was the (fixed) gearchange rod that was touching the body/tunnel (slightly bent), and that rod effects the other gearchange rod too

drove the micra to work for the 1st time today
the box pops out of 3rd and 5th gear
in a 5 mile trip, it popped out of 3rd gear 3 times, and 5th 2 times

seems like this box has some problems inside of it

time to replace it with a used box
Believe this is a common fault on the micras, worn gear linkage bush? Mine was better after greasing it up although it never popped out of gear.
Be cheaper than a second hand/ recon' gearbox :)

I struggle to get mine into 1st, 2nd and reverse sometimes too. Need to get under mine and check the linkages. It might just be my poor driving.

im gonna order up some bushings then, the gearbox side was some white bushings, they seemed ok, but i didn't look at the other end of the shifter rods

if replacing bushings is all it takes to make it not pop out of gear, then thats a ez fix

1 gear, I have a long driveway and I sometimes like to back out vs turning around to drive out

today the box started to make all kind of crazy grinding noise and then made a big bang sound and sometimes don't make the grind noise now,
but seems to be whinning a lot louder now

went to an appointment today, and went to back out of the car park and started to back up and then the car makes a bang sound again and pops out of gear, and wont go into any gear,
and with the shifter in netural, with the park brake off, the car wont go into any gears, its like its locked into a gear

took me about 15mins of messing with it to get it into gear and then I drove off, and at a stop light, it popped out of 1st gear, and would only go into 3rd,
messed with it for 5 mins and then it went into 1st gear but with it driving, it pops out of gear and I have to hold the shifter for it to stay in gear,

the gearbox is whinning and grinding hard now

any places online to find a gearbox for this thing?
a gearbox with a cable driven speedo?

yeah the newer boxes also use a electric speedo pickup

I p the car on jack stands tonight and with the box in netural, I tried to spin the wheels and nothing

the wheel don't want to spin, I can force them but it sounds like dead bearings spinning

tomorrow im gonna drop the box oil and see what it looks like, hopefully no huge metal parts

yeah the newer boxes also use a electric speedo pickup

I p the car on jack stands tonight and with the box in netural, I tried to spin the wheels and nothing

the wheel don't want to spin, I can force them but it sounds like dead bearings spinning

tomorrow im gonna drop the box oil and see what it looks like, hopefully no huge metal parts
and the facelift 1.0 and pre-face 1.3 g/box are different mate

havn't had much luck finding a preface lift 1.0 gearbox, so I found a gearbox place that will sell me the bearings I need, but I just need to know what bearings I need before I can order them

so I ripped the box out again and took it apart

im gonna go with Timken bearings vs the oem Nissan ones, I figure the Timken bearings will probably be a hair cheaper and problably ez-er to find

anyways here's a picture of the bearing that went out, or whats left of it

does anyone have a good online write up of going thur the micra gearbox?

I cant seem to be able to find a pre-face lift small box, and they all want 100-150 quid for a used box for a face lift box

so I ordered up the parts I need,
1 main shaft bearing, main shaft oil feed funnel, input shaft seal, 2 side diff seals

I figure since the box is apart, I should replace the 3 seals, one of my side diff seals started to leak gearbox oil

royal mail shipping, the parts/shipping came out to 28.05
i should have the parts no later then Wednesday

i have one side of the box cleaned up already,
the diff is cleaned up,

tomorrow im gonna pick up some rtv to seal the cases together when the time comes
http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...ers/permatex-gear-oil-rtv-gasket-maker-detail

the next few days im gonna be doing so cleaning,
i plan to put the box back together thrusday or Friday
so i can install it this weekend

the parts came in the post the other day, check the bearing fitment last night and its the wrong bearing

the bearing fits the shaft but not the case

so I called up the shop I got the parts from,
i'll have the other size bearing tomorrow sometime around lunch time

tomorrow night i'll be rebuilding this box if everything goes right

Started to rebuild the gearbox and one of the shift forks had a hair line crack in it, so I made some phone calls and sent some emails and I found a another gearbox with 60k miles on it for 85quid shipped and I will have it tomorrow

the other box came in, with a half pallet it weighted 10kg's, lol

anyways the new box got installed tonight, mostly

all I have left to do is install the drive shafts and put the box oil in

but so far the box shifts into each gear pretty smooth

tomorrow im gonna go get 3qts of box oil

I gotta put road tax on the car but that's not a big deal

its looking like im gonna drive the car to work on friday

does this gearbox have a neutral safety switch?

because the wiring to the side of the gearbox was cut,
the wiring that goes to the round sensor, witch I think is for the reverse lights only

if not then I still have the wiring plug from the other one but when I tried to pop that sensor out from the other case, it broke

but I can always put the connector onto the other one

need to find out what wire does what on it

I was able to come up with

black/yellow wire and black white wire are for the reverse light
with black/yellow wire having 12v power to it

and black/blue and black wire for the neutral switch

I think if I jump the neutral switch wires with a paper clip, the car should be able to start

im gonna test that out ones I find my fluke meter to make sure im not putting 12v power straight to ground
that and I have some really nice made up test leads from when I took my Oshkosh snow removal equipment class

ok I figured out my car, kind of but it runs now

anyways

one wire was different from the posts on here, the red wire was orange
96 N reg 1.0L/5speed 3 dr micra

yellow wire with 12 volts, connector turns into black/yellow (reverse light)
green wire......................connector turns into black/white (reverse light)

black wire with 4.82volts, connector turns into black/blue (neutral)....... I have no idea because my car still started without it hooked up to anything
orange wire......................connector turns into black wire(neutral)

my car runs but I have no idea why

with those 4 wires not hooked up to anything, I had my wife turn the key to the start spot on the ign switch and hold it, I checked for volts at each wire, and they were the same as in the run spot.
So I checked for power at the starter, and as soon as I did that, the car started, and now starts fine

my gearbox switch for the reverse lights doesn't work but when I put the two wires together the lights turn on in the back....... I don't care for now, the car has MOT for the next 6months,
so I got time to wire up a micro switch to the shifter like someone else done on this site
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/help-with-reverse-lights-no-working.57591/

so I hooked up the 4 wires to the gearbox and tomorrow im gonna test drive my car

test drove the car and everything with the gearbox is fine
one of the exhaust covers needs to come off but besides that so far so good

oh yeah, when I put the new clutch into the car, I put a 7 1/8 inch clutch in to it aka 180mm

alittle more driving today and it looks like the two outters are popping, not just the right side

seems to pop more on turns 1st thing in the morning

no rips in the boots

so the list of parts I need to get for this car keeps on slowly getting bigger

outer cv joints
wiper column switch
rear hatch cover
alignment
oil change/filters
wiper blades

not so much in that list but most of the parts I have alittle bit of time to buy

I was thinking about maybe trying to get some used driveshafts from a junkyard, if the price is right

I think I can get the wiper switch used as well

I got my outter cv joints in the post the other day, tomorrow im gonna install them, I have to get them done asap because next week im gonna drive the car to Germany for a class im taking

the oil change took me 10mins, lol

today I picked up for FREE!!!!!
out of a 97 march that's gonna go scrap tomorrow for a blown engine

the lower dash cup holder
shifter boot
park brake cover with cup holder thingy
and some pretty nice seat set up, front and rear
and front seat belts that match the seats in gray color
and rear hatch cover

the turn signal parts on the column didn't match up to my car so I left them

all I had to do was remove the parts from the vehicle

cv joints are done now, and the alignment is done

the old cv joints had so much play in them, I could rotate the joint and feel the play in it, and then I could make the joint pop by turning the axle by hand
those things had to be super close to giving out

PS, the micra outter cv joint fits on a classic mini driveshaft
they have the same spline count, matches up just fine
no idea if anyone needs info like that

classic mini outter cv joint is a ton bigger then the micra joint

the only thing left on my project list for this car is the wiper column switch now,
I will be ordering that next pay day

well I did a 900 mile plus a week of driving around town
to Germany and back to the UK
took about 2.5tanks to make the drive plus the city driving I did for a week

knock on wood, no problems with the car

I should have changed my plugs before I went because the gaps on them were a bit big

but the car ran great, on the road I did 70-75mph, but had no problems getting up to 85 to pass someone

the tire pressure was set at 33psi when I started out

tomorrow im gonna make the same drive back out their to Germany

the people I work with think im kind of crazy for driving a small car like a micra out to Germany but
it does good on fuel so I don't mind

Back