Can I weld my roof seams?

CMF_Hotplate

» CMF Member
Hi all, newbie here, I recently bought a K11 which I plan on respraying, whilst I was prepping the car I popped out the two
strips that clip in to the seams on the roof, which are spot welded. Was interested to know if filling the seams by welding, then a coat of body filler to smooth them off is an option, or will it flex and crack? Has anyone done this? Cheers in advance.

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
There have been guys off the uk micra forum that have body filled the seams, I thinking it may crack depending on how stiff your suspension is

CMF_Hotplate

» CMF Member
Cheers guys. I did some searching and the only things I could find re welding ANY car roof seams are on old yank tanks. I know it would make it near impossible to repair in the event of a smash, I just think they would look neater smoothed off. Doom, I'm from down south mate, not alot of pics I can show ATM as the car is stripped into a million little bits lol, I think there is a link in the cars for sale thread here of it. It (was) a blue lx 3 door with average paint and some minor front damage I picked up real cheap. Planning an el cheapo turbo conversion. Will start a thread soon, and Doom Ill be posting in your FS soon too lol. Cheers.

CMF_Hotplate

» CMF Member
sr20micramike WROTE:

"Seems like a lot Work for nothing really! Put the time and effort into something worthwhile

Im painting it anyway, Im a surface finisher by trade, i see a join and think it needs to be smooth lol, so not alot of extra work.
Im going ahead with the crazy idea of adding 10 kilos of extra weld/glass/bog/whatever and will be filling the seams in my roof. I'm not romantic about newer cars, Im not playing with structural integrity, hairline cracks through the roof would look unsightly if you approached it the wrong way i spose but im prepared to take the risk. Still open to thoughts as to why I couldn't or shouldn't (apart from wasting a shell)

Doom WROTE:

"I know the car, it was on ebay and I looked into buying it..

I am currently wrecking one the same colour :)

Yep that would be the one, apart from the obvious frontal lobotomy, and some earlier smash repair handywork near the right real tail light
which seemed to be the catalyst for the ****ty paintjob, it is untouched lol. Doom, to save vandalizing your FS thread, Im after the front bumper, rad. support panel, bonnet, bumper support brackets and fixings. Id be keen on the rims and tyres as well if you're willing to negotiate. I'll sms you friday, no doubt I'll have thought of something else by then. Must I ask, what scared you away from buying it, apart from the obvious? :)

CMF_Doom

» CMF Member
wow, thats quite a shopping list :) call e friday, I have the day off.
i was looking for a tidy shell with good paint to put some running gear into, i am not handy with bodywork & painting etc.although your car is pretty straight, the paint needed attention & I dont have the skills. I also have a set of mint seats i may part with for the right price too :)
Im sure we can figure out a good price if you purchase a bunch of bits

Back