Roof repair...

misterBaz

Ex. Club Member
Anyone had any experience of repairing the roof? Mine is scarred in a few places due to it being stood under a tree for eternity. If it was a regular body panel I'd sand out the rust, fill, smooth, prime, spray. But the roof panel is very flexible and I worry that filler would just crack up at the first flex of the roof panel, which I guess could happen at high speed etc. I'm assuming you can't replace the roof panel on the micras(?) so does anyone have any tips? Do you reckon that filler would do the trick? Is there perhaps some kind of flexible filler on the market?

Roof is tricky, dont think it can be replaced with ease either! Re welding, new roof lining, spraying etc. Mine needs some work too due to tree sap wrecking the paint, but was quoted £100 to have it sorted. Probably your easiest option

Cheers mate. I begrudge giving a garage money for labour if I can do it myself though. I might take it to a bodyshop for a quote, ask them what they're gonna do to it...then do it myself lol

Cheers mate. I begrudge giving a garage money for labour if I can do it myself though. I might take it to a bodyshop for a quote, ask them what they're gonna do to it...then do it myself lol

lool! could you not use filler the fiberglass over that to give it a bit of strenth?

I really am not sure. It's such a flexible panel that I worry any filler/fibreglass would crack as soon as someone leans on the car. There is a scar in the middle which is very deep and would require a fair bit of filler to smooth out. But if that is all a bodyshop would do then I'd rather do it myself to be honest...I'm no bodywork genius but I've got a compressor and spraygun and have sprayed a few bits and pieces before....it can't look any worse that it does now and if I mess it up I can save up some pennies and THEN take it to the experts :)

Baz

Buy some spray foam, blast the living jesus out of it to the point that the whole roof is solid, then fill away :)

this might sound a bit daft but here goes,

go down to ur local diy store and get a tube of 'decorators caulk' thats flexible when dry and is over paintable, just apply it to the scar, smooth it with a spreader and let it set for about an hour then paint it if you dont go poking at it it will be fien i recon, it will flex with the roof and not crack.

give it a go its only about £2 a tube if that, if thees a choice buy the most expensive as some of the cheap stuff is not very good, some EVO-STICK should do the trick.

let me no what you think

Back