Can I pass emissions without first cat?

Hi.

Does anybody know if a 1.0 can pass an MOT emissions test without the front cat? i.e. with a janspeed manifold or similar. Has anybody tried it or do you just swap back to stock before test time?

You will struggle to pass or wont even pass without the first cat as that one does most of the work as the second one doesnt get hot enough. A few people have had problems. Noddie being a recent one.

You can just swap the standard manifold and cat come MOT time and swap again when its passes.

No, you wont be able to pass emissions...

Recently i had my SR through a MOT and it was giving 5,5% of CO, the max is 0,3%... :laugh:

So what if I was to relocate it under the floor and keep both of them? I'm thinking of making a custom 4-2-1 manifold eventually and the standard position of the cat doesn't give enough room really. Would it get hot enough there?

Where it is located is probably the best location for it heat wise. Alot of people remove the 2nd cat and just replace it with a straight through pipe. But putting both next to each other is a bit pointless. It would be alot easier to just swap manifolds when the times comes.

So a 200sx one works at low temps?

I was thinking of underneath the engine bay rather than next to the 2nd one but yeah it's probably easier to just swap.

Thanks guys.

I think that CAT's only work with high temperature, thats why is best to "trash" to car before you go to a MOT, so the CAT is hot enough to filter all the crappy gases...
However your car might have to wait a while until being MOT'd so sometimes this won't work :(

Dont know how its done in UK, but in Portugal the test is done at 3-4000rpm, so the CAT gets hot enough...
there are 2 parts of the test over here,
idle. and fast idle like you said around 3k iirc?
still can fail though with both cats so everyone needs to sort it out before heading off to the mot. you can buy testers off of eBay etc.
i have one in the garage. (gas tester)

there are 2 parts of the test over here,
idle. and fast idle like you said around 3k iirc?
still can fail though with both cats so everyone needs to sort it out before heading off to the mot. you can buy testers off of eBay etc.
i have one in the garage. (gas tester)

Yes, something around 3.000rpm.

Buy a gas tester? Nah, i prefer to buy a MOT, the car passes for sure... :laugh:

Yeah but if you had a gas tester for some people with one cat/no cat they would know roughly how much they are off by. :wasntme:

It can also help to take the car for a good thrash before the test to clear out some of the deposits collected in the exhaust system,especially if the car has been pottered around town in by an 80 year old nun.

Back