cam lag

GT88

Ex. Club Member
i just put 1.3 cams in my 1.0 and when you put your foot down it lags hard. is that normal or dose the timing need changing

i noticed a very tiny tiny power loss around 2,000 rpm but the rev range was higher (ie once you got to 5,500 - 6,000 it went off like a rocket ;))

Olly do you have any experience in what you say? Do you understand the implications of what could happen if that was followed out by somone who didnt know what they are doing and got it wrong?

You do also understand that changing the timing does not alter the fueling?

Sorry, but posts like the above annoy me as they are about as much use as putting a +20bhp ebay mod 'chip' on your car.

Changing the ignition timing can alter performance but im with Ed, you can seriously damage your engine if you dont know what your doing or even why.

Yes I have experience in timing changes, with our low octane fuel 5 degrees shouldn't do anything damaging. I'm aware it doesn't change the fueling but it does increase throttle response.
Also as he just changed his cams I guessed he would be competent enough to change his timing.

Those 'mod chips' Are resistors that fool the car into advancing the timing, they are usually badly matched to the motor and do damage the engine.

What Ed and my self are saying that just putting something like that on the forum could mean anyone could try it and damage there engine in the process.

Oh ok that is a good point. I was thinking that most people that don't know what they are doing are usually too scared to try it anyway. I don't wanna be responsible for anyone breaking their engine, so if no-one could try it, lol.

Oh ok that is a good point. I was thinking that most people that don't know what they are doing are usually too scared to try it anyway. I don't wanna be responsible for anyone breaking their engine, so if no-one could try it, lol.

Its actually quite surprising what some people will try, ive seen some scary things....dont want to mention as one of them is running around slade green right now.

I once saw a Reliant Robin with Nitrous, they didn't know what they were doing and blew the engine. We should start a new thread about stupid mods we have seen...

Back