Engine/Running Issues

I've been having the same problem since i've had the March, but i've been putting off sorting it however I think it's time to get them fixed.

I think it could all be down to one thing, but the problems are:

- It doesn't always start up straight away, i'll have to keep the key turned for a few seconds before it fires up. (sometimes if I turn the key to the 2nd stage, wait a few secs then start it, she fires up fine)
- When driving at low speeds, (usually happens in 2nd or 3rd gear) if I put my foot down the car hesitates/lags before accelerating like a really bad turbo lag or like something's holding it back.
- When going slowly over slightly bumpy/undulating ground or going over multiple small speedbumps, the car jerks really badly (like a learner that can't get the clutch right) even if I keep at a steady speed/the throttle at the same position.
- Sometimes when cruising on the motorway the car will have a brief moment where it coughs/splutters for a few seconds like it's going to cut out, but then it carries on fine.
- I'm not sure if it's related, but a few months ago it just randomly cut out and a light came on the dash (I think it's a cat temperature sensor light) but after a few seconds it fired up and drove fine.

Before I bought it, the previous owner (SuluR) changed the TB, dizzy cap & fuel rail and i've fitted new ht leads but these don't seem to have effected it. I think it's probably an air/fuel related problem?..
Anyone know what could be causing it/how to fix it?

I've been having the same problem since i've had the March, but i've been putting off sorting it however I think it's time to get them fixed.

I think it could all be down to one thing, but the problems are:

- It doesn't always start up straight away, i'll have to keep the key turned for a few seconds before it fires up. (sometimes if I turn the key to the 2nd stage, wait a few secs then start it, she fires up fine)
- When driving at low speeds, (usually happens in 2nd or 3rd gear) if I put my foot down the car hesitates/lags before accelerating like a really bad turbo lag or like something's holding it back.
- When going slowly over slightly bumpy/undulating ground or going over multiple small speedbumps, the car jerks really badly (like a learner that can't get the clutch right) even if I keep at a steady speed/the throttle at the same position.
- Sometimes when cruising on the motorway the car will have a brief moment where it coughs/splutters for a few seconds like it's going to cut out, but then it carries on fine.
- I'm not sure if it's related, but a few months ago it just randomly cut out and a light came on the dash (I think it's a cat temperature sensor light) but after a few seconds it fired up and drove fine.

Before I bought it, the previous owner (SuluR) changed the TB, dizzy cap & fuel rail and i've fitted new ht leads but these don't seem to have effected it. I think it's probably an air/fuel related problem?..
Anyone know what could be causing it/how to fix it?
The not starting problem could be down to a leak in fuek system or worn fuel pump, leaving ignition on before starting causes the fuek pump to prime the system building up pressure so could be not pressurising as fast as normal.
Juddering at low speed could be weak throttle return spring?
Stuttering at speed could be moisture in the dizzy cap?
I'd check fuel pump/lines first as that could cause all those problems...

Ive just renewd my fuel pump as thought it was throttle body issues it drives alot better now but has same slight jump/cut out in 2/3rd gear at low revs......in town

First thing :) has the ignition switch been re new'd.comon fault
hows the eng gear box mounts looking ?

As far as I know, nothing to do with the ignition has been changed. The engine and gearbox mounts were changed not that long ago so they're in good condition.
Ive just renewd my fuel pump as thought it was throttle body issues it drives alot better now but has same slight jump/cut out in 2/3rd gear at low revs......in town
I've got a spare fuel pump, so i'll change that to see if it makes a difference. All K11 pumps are the same aren't they?

No you ideally need the same one as yours but being a import it may be diffrent.....mine was a yellow box with seprate float arm which clips on the right hand side. And the pump itself slides onto a slot inside the tank.....it took me a hour to complete and I never done it before

No you ideally need the same one as yours but being a import it may be diffrent.....mine was a yellow box with seprate float arm which clips on the right hand side. And the pump itself slides onto a slot inside the tank.....it took me a hour to complete and I never done it before

I've taken mine out before and it looked pretty much the same as other pre-facelift ones, and i've heard that skyline gts pumps will fit as well

I've taken mine out before and it looked pretty much the same as other pre-facelift ones, and i've heard that skyline gts pumps will fit as well

Don't know if the march shares the same pump as the micra, though I can't see why not. But the gts pump fits I'm running one and Paul ran it before me

Don't know if the march shares the same pump as the micra, though I can't see why not. But the gts pump fits I'm running one and Paul ran it before me

When I took the fuel unit out a few months ago it looked the same as a spare one i've got, so i'll give it a go and see if it works

Also I had a friend look at it tonight and they suggested changing the distributor/rotor arm, could this be a cause of the problem?

I'll add onto this instead of making a new thread, but today it wouldn't start at all. It would turn over, but just wouldn't fire up.

As it had been raining overnight and was a bit misty I did what I used last time it refused to start, squirted some wd40 into the spark plug ports and onto the dizzy end of the leads but still nothing. Then I remembered i'd forgot the dizzy ports so I squirted some onto them and then it fired up straight away so i'm guessing it's the dizzy at fault not the leads/plugs?
I also noticed that from 0 to half throttle when revving it, it was fine but from about 3/4 to pushing the throttle straight to the floor it was really hesitant/stuttery when revving like it would cough slightly before revving up :/ Would this be down to the dizzy/linked to the above list of problems?

Sounds a bit like when my rotor arm started tracking, if you can get a cheap rotor arm try that you never know. Wait for better suggestions first though

Erm......... Fuel filter, often overlooked could have a blockage., or shoite in the tank.

How has no one else suggested it already, get a new fuel filter on asap.

Andy

Erm......... Fuel filter, often overlooked could have a blockage., or shoite in the tank.

How has no one else suggested it already, get a new fuel filter on asap.

Andy

Yeah it's had a new fuel filter. Could it possibly be the fuel pump as I have a spare one of those and was going to swap them over to see if there's any difference?

Back