Cam cover screw size?

Wanting to change over to stainless allen screws, but can't seem to find my thread gauge or my calipers to measure accurately. Anyone know what to get?

I thought it was a bit weird they were screws, any reason they arent proper bolts?

Edit: and is it just me or is the gasket made out of rubber? Looked for one on ebay and it looked that way, surely it'd just melt?!

I thought it was a bit weird they were screws, any reason they arent proper bolts?

Edit: and is it just me or is the gasket made out of rubber? Looked for one on ebay and it looked that way, surely it'd just melt?!

Found the answer to my question by pulling one and comparing it to others. m6x1.0 x25mm

Not really sure why they are screws, but it could be that it doesn't need that much pressure to hold it down. Only 3Nm needed.

And you would be surprised at the temps rubber can tolerate, but I thought the heads never got much above 120

Aye, metric fine M6x25 is the ticket ;)

If you are going to go for SS fasteners ensure you put them in with a good gob of copperslip, as A2 (304) stainless and A4 (316) stainless are more cathodic than carbon steel and there will be more potential for the aluminium to oxidize. With those kind of socket heads they should still come out, but it's better to be safe than sorry especially the front 4 which see the most humidity & salt spray. A few thou of oxidation can easily make them a complete pain to remove.

no, rubber melts at a much higher temp than what it'll experience normally between the head & cover, unless ur intentionally trying to overheat, overrev and destroy the engine :p

no, rubber melts at a much higher temp than what it'll experience normally between the head & cover, unless ur intentionally trying to overheat, overrev and destroy the engine :p

So it is rubber?

I thought head gaskets were always a number of thin metal sheets

That's between the head and the block, where you get to the top of the pistons. This is under high pressure. The cam cover(or valve/rocker cover) is on top of the head and only needs enough to keep in the oil.

not for your plastic cover tho ;) they,re 5mm longer

Ah, thanks for that Frank, will raid the M6x30 drawer when the time comes ;)

I already have some aluminium paste.. or does it need to be copper?

Doesn't have to be copper no, basically anything which will help to stop/limit water ingress and is good for high temps. Suggested copper as most people seem to have a tube or 2 laying around and it's got great anti-seize properties :)

Back