Cam cover

CMF_Wilzy

» CMF Member
i want to take the cam cover off to try and give it a good clean... ive got a '96 k11...how advisable is it to take the cover off?? bearing in mind while trying to remove the exhast shield today, one of the bolts snapped because it was so rusty!! :( so i dont want to find that the car wont work after taking off the cover and putting it back on! what are the chances that the screws for the cover are also rusted through??
cheers guys

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Not sure what its made from as I have never had mine off but if its rubber then you could reuse it but still always better to replace it. Any Nissan dealer over there should have one.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
the screws up front are exposed to the elements over the years and would prob be pretty seized if they've never been touched.

spray some lube over each screw and leave several hours to soak in. then with a big philips that fits the best with minimal play, gently undo the screw whilst pushing down.

if it doesn't budge with gentle-medium effort don't force anymore or it'll round off the screw head. at this point i'd try using an impact driver that'll apply more force without rounding the head.
begin with striking the impact driver gently afew times first to shock and loosen the screw threads then try a little harder till it unscrews.

if the screw rounded off the last resort is to grind the head off with a dremel/angle grinder, lift off the cam cover then extract the pretruding screw with mole grips.

if the screws are proper fused onto the cylinder head, then (after covering the cams, etc from the dust) the offending surface'll need to be dremeled flat, centre punched, drilled out then re-tapped.
not for the faint hearted.

if the screw was too hard to unscrew by hand and ur not certain bout proceeding any further, then take it to someone experienced and tooled in removing stubborn screws or take it to a mechanic.

once removed, i'd recommend replacing em all with allen key type bolts from the local hardware store ;)

CMF_Wilzy

» CMF Member
right then..... cheers boys... i think i will probs just leave it then!! sounds like far to much hastle and i dont need that atm!!

just another quick question.... thinking of wrapping my exhaust... ive seen a view vids on how to do it... do i have to remove it because thats how ive seen demonstration vids doing it or could i attempt to do it with the extractors still fitted?? as with the screws on the cam i wouldnt fancy my chance with the screws on the extractors! :(

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I've replaced my cam cover and reused the rubber gasket - also used aviation gasket goo when I put it back on just to make sure it had a good seal. Just tighten it up in sequence like described in the haynes manual and you'll be fine. It's always a good idea to replace old/rusted bolts and screws too as asdame mentioned.

I've replaced three sets of exhaust manifold studs and bolts and it's a pretty easy job, though micras over in the UK seem to be a lot more rusted so I don't know how much that will affect you in getting the old studs out and replacing them. Just make sure you use a socket so you don't round the nuts ;)

---dens

Back