Cam chain problems?

CMF_Stevo11

» CMF Member
Hi,

My Micra (998cc 1998) died recently while coasting to a stop at lights, no bang, no noise, no drama. I had a look at it today, it turns over on the starter, (haven't managed to check spark or fuel yet), one thing I did notice was that if I poke a finger through the oil filler hole I can just loop around the timing chain and pull it slightly upwards... I'd have thought a chain snapping would have pulled it off the cam sprocket (?) and mashed valves etc with some sort of clatter... but there is no such indication... is this just due to the tensioners not taking up slack? If so.. where should I look next? Is there a common issue I should look into first before checking spark/fuel?

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Steve

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Your problem definately does not sound like a timing chain. That slack you talk of there is totally normal and is taken up as soon as the crank rotates and the engine develops oil pressure. PLus your engine is spinning freely on the starter motor so tthe chances of the timing chain being the problem are slim.

MOre likely an ignition fault in the distributor. CHeck that out first (see if the spark plugs are getting spark).

Goodluck

CMF_Stevo11

» CMF Member
Thanks for the feedback. I've since tried for spark with no luck (not convinced yet tho as it was an old plug).
I've taken off the distributor cap and found the points were flaking and the end of the rotor arm was rough. Also tested the wires on the larger connector on the distributor, 5.2v on the white wire and almost 13v on the green.. (thoughts on this? What should they be at?)
So, I bought a new cap (slightly beefier looking points in the new one, plus 3 screws instead of 5mm bolts), put it on... no joy ... is there a way of determining if you have spark coming off the rotor arm (or before it)?
Any help appreciated!
Steve

CMF_Stevo11

» CMF Member
Howdy,

Took cam cover off the engine today, cam chain is broken. Whats the likelyhood of the valves being ok? Is there an easy way to check them?

Alternatively, whats the options in regards to "drop in" used engines? Will a 1.2 drop in without mods? I just want to widen the search parameters ;-)
Oh... also, if I were to get a used engine, is it a driveway job? Possible to lift out engine without a crane when its stripped down and gearbox disconnected?

Any help appreciated
Cheers
Steve

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
****!

Which chain is broken lower or upper?

edit: just noticed you have the 1L not the 1.3L. 1.3L is an interference design and if a chain breaks there is high chance of valve/piston intercourse. I dont know about the 1L sorry.

Back