cam chain

Hi all
Can anyone tell me how long a cam chain can last ? On a 1.0 micra yr 2000
My car has 1015 miles on clock
Is sounds great with no rattles or noise
Last owner had car for two years and doesn't know when it was changed last!!
Don

skymera

Brutal Honesty
I always thought with the correct care they can last the lifetime of the engine.

My 1.0 was mistreated before I bought it and the chain was knackered long before 100k!

wehey

Ex. Club Member
And is it a engine out job to do cam chain ?
Also I've read somewhere you can just renew the tensioners !
Is that correct ?
Don
I have read that it can be done with the engine in but it's a really tricky job due to accessibility.
It's an easier job once the engine is out and this is how I would tackle it.
It would probably be easier, cheaper and less hassle to just buy a new engine and swap them out. Engines can be picked up for £50-£100

Do you actually need to change the chain?

Well not at the moment it sounds fine no rattles or any noises.
Was just asking because car has 1015 miles on the clock and last owner had car for two yrs and did not no when it had been changed !
Also been told a fault light would show up when it's start to wear.
So any advice would be great..
Don

If the cam chain had worn out in 1,015 miles I'd be going to Nissan and complaining!!

The chain isn't like a cam belt and won't need chaining every 2 years or so. Mines on 153,000 and is ok. Regular oil changes are important so if you don't know when the oil was last changed I'd do the oil and filter and forget about the cam chain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Th
If the cam chain had worn out in 1,015 miles I'd be going to Nissan and complaining!!

The chain isn't like a cam belt and won't need chaining every 2 years or so. Mines on 153,000 and is ok. Regular oil changes are important so if you don't know when the oil was last changed I'd do the oil and filter and forget about the cam chain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks machinehead
Deep purples best album ever!
I will take your advise and advise above .
It's just I've bought it for my daughter as her first car and want it to be all ok and reliable .
Thanks
Don

Like the other guys say you should have no trouble with the chains. Just regular good oil changes. If you only do small miles of stop start driving then you should change the oil more often. I also use Slick 50 once a year.