noisy cam chain..

K

K11samurai

Hi,

I have had and loved my K11 for six months now, but ever since i bought it the cam chains have been noisy as hell,

I am a mechanic by trade but have never come across this problem before, most customers K11s dont sound anywhere near as bad.

Has anyone encountered and cured this problem before?

I have been told that they have hydraulic tensioners and they can go slack after time. and that a chain is not very nice to do!! and not cheap.

Great forum by the way, keep up the work, will put my car in the 'garage' archive soon after my wheels go on it.

Thanx

There are two tensioners, an upper and a lower one the upper one is not too bad to get to and should quieten it down a bit, but you'd ideally want to be changing both, what mileage is the car?

Same with mine,

still revs hard and high,

Ijust dont want it to go and do any valves or damage the head etc,

cheers for the reasssurance mate.

its done 74000 odd, it does quieten down when its at running temp

What oil are you using?

Mine quietened down when I switched from Halfords 10w40 Semi-Synth to GTX Magnatec 10w40 Full-Synth. :)

i filled it up with what i use at work, im not 100% sure but i think its 5w30 semi, its vauxhall stuff. what do u suggest, its due a change now!

change to castrol magnatec??

Mines on 102000 miles, the camchain is a bit noisy but nothing to worry about just yet, I think the prize for the noisiest K11 camchain in the world would have to go to James though, good god it was loud, all I can say is keep the oil changes regular and always use good quality oil, I either use 10-30 or 10-40 grade.

My car was noisy as well, i changed the oil did go quieter, but paid a big price for not doing more earlier, the plastic on the tensioner broke into bits snapped the top chain and bent the valves, the chain cost me £100.00. if i were you and had the time i would remove the plate covering the chain and check the state of the tensioner. the job of replacing the chains is not to difficult. good old Haynes.

just change the chain and tentioners if you are a mechanic and can do cam belts you can do a cam chain easy

Not true, there is a reson why it is a 5-6 hour job at a dealership, the lower chain is a nightmare to get to.

Mines on 102000 miles, the camchain is a bit noisy but nothing to worry about just yet, I think the prize for the noisiest K11 camchain in the world would have to go to James though, good god it was loud, all I can say is keep the oil changes regular and always use good quality oil, I either use 10-30 or 10-40 grade.

You mean when he replaced his engine for a diesel ? :D

if they are hydraulic tensioners, are they self adjusting? and anyone know how much they are?

Not true, there is a reson why it is a 5-6 hour job at a dealership, the lower chain is a nightmare to get to.

the way we do it on bikes is to link the new chain to the old one and turn the engine by hand untill the old chain is out then re join the new chain. any reason you can't do this on a micra?

yeah, its to easy...lol

my cam chain is so loud now...... just to show you how loud. take your exhaust out of your car. now rev the engine at 4000rpm,...... you would still be able to hear my cam chain over that!!!!!
i run 0-40 Mobil 1 fully sythetic..

mines done 105600 miles and has never been changed.....

and why does my engine rev to 7200rpm?..... i have used an after market rev counter and it revs to 7100 ish and the one in my car revs to 7200......., and its pops very loudly on the limiter too.....

the way we do it on bikes is to link the new chain to the old one and turn the engine by hand untill the old chain is out then re join the new chain. any reason you can't do this on a micra?

You could do that, but the most of the chain side of the engine has to be stripped down to get to the lower tensioner and you have only about 6" of room between the engine and the chassis, I will try to have a look in my Haynes, see if I can scan some pictures in to show it.

Back