CA18DET Time?

S

sir bob

Hi there all, Im in the position of having my 200sx S13 of the road at the mo, I was contemplating a rebuild, but then it struck me, why not stick the CA18DET in a micra. Ive spent about two weeks on the net looking, and all I can find is "it has been done". Heres what i have come up with so far.

Custom front manifold, as the 200sx is designed for rwd.

Electrics will definatley have to be cut and soldered, involves stripping the engine loom out of both cars, then wiring into micra, along with ECU.

Gearbox, an almera gti box Ive read should fit. Not to sure about driveshafts, as the micra has the smallest track of all the nissan range.

Engine mounts, Im hoping the will ine up, Im pretty sure that the front mount will have to be modified.

The main things that are causing my head problems so far are the engine mounts and the driveshafts, once Ive cleared these up and I can see that the project would be feasable, then Ill pick up a scrappy micra and start. Seeing as the CA18DET's are becoming cheaper this is something that should interest a lot of micra owners. With mild tuning the engine can push 250 - 270bhp, thats 150 brake per ton in a micra :eek: Any help is really appreciated, Im sure that if this can be done using mainly of the shelf nissan parts, lots of people would start to get interested.

Cheers

Well, the drive shafts of a micra can be modified, for example the gearbox ends can be popped off, and sunny ends put back on, so that a 1.6 sunny gearbox can be used.

If you say an almera box works, then what you will need to find out, is do the gearbox ends of the almera drive shafts, and will they fit the micra shafts...?

Good luck..

most mounts Will need sorting. mainly drivers side.

you will also need to look at teh gear linkage arms the allignment etc , the loom is the easy part. the shafts as ckristian said will need to be modified. and i am pretty sure the almera shafts also have a ball bearing setup half shaft being caged so it is easier to swap the long shaft ends onto both the micra shafts.

the pump shouldnt be a problem. since both are injection systems.

so main thing u need to look into is the shafts and were the locations of each of the mounts.

these are my main issues at the moment

sir bob said:
With mild tuning the engine can push 250 - 270bhp, thats 150 brake per ton in a micra :eek: Any help is really appreciated, Im sure that if this can be done using mainly of the shelf nissan parts, lots of people would start to get interested.

Cheers

Micras way less then 1000KG thats more then 150BHP/tonne. CLoser to 300.

the ca18det engine is the same as the engine in the old sunny vx, just with a turbo, if you got hold of one of these boxes it will definetely fit and will also give you a limited slip diff which i dont think the almera box, has but which you will definetely be wanting with that much power through such a small car

appologies tho if the almera box does have a lsd, or if you already decided that you dont want one.

Back