buzzing? noise from dashboard? 97 k11

Tango3

Ex. Club Member
I have noticed this a few times before particulary when i have perhaps been going fast along the motorway. but today i have been getting this in at all speeds and all gears when you press the clutch it stops. i have been driving how i normally drive. and have driven 2 other micra's and never noticed it before. is it an over rev warning or something? any ideas or advice will be very welcome, thanks:confused:

hmmm I get a buzzing vibration from my gearstick in my 97 K11 but umm never experienced one from in behind the dash My approach would be trail by elimination but could take a while sorry I can't help chap o_O:(

Cheers! i might have a treasure trove behind there! it seems to come on when the rev counter goes up towards 2. if i drive at 30 in 5th gear there is no noise but stating off in 1st it makes a noise as well as going above 10 in 2nd and above 20 in 3rd and above 30 in 4th! i tend to always select a higher gear but in slow traffic it is like white noise torture. it is so annoying!:mad:

Thats odd, i get the exact same thing on the Mway, seems worse if i give it some stick. I thought it was my pencils on the dash, the my phone charger rattling on the console. Its hard to pinpoint the sound because the road noise in these things is so loud, but i drive along holding bits of plastic seeing if it stops, would be nice to get to the bottom of this one. Ill try holding the gear stick tomorrow as its odd it stops if i dip the clutch, and i have a new box in mine so shouldnt be that.

Thats odd, i get the exact same thing on the Mway, seems worse if i give it some stick. I thought it was my pencils on the dash, the my phone charger rattling on the console. Its hard to pinpoint the sound because the road noise in these things is so loud, but i drive along holding bits of plastic seeing if it stops, would be nice to get to the bottom of this one. Ill try holding the gear stick tomorrow as its odd it stops if i dip the clutch, and i have a new box in mine so shouldnt be that.

Nice to know i'm not alone! It is like its coming from behind the dials? I am mystified:confused:

Nice to know i'm not alone! It is like its coming from behind the dials? I am mystified:confused:

I forgot to mention that, i thought it was from behind the dials after a few days, i have had cars from back in the 80's and the speedo used to make a noise when the cable was stcicking, not sure how advanced the stuff is on the k11, these days is all fly by wire...maybe someone here knows. I look at the speedo expecting to see the needle bouncing a bit, but its steady!

I think mike-f has it, took it out for a blast on the Mway just now. Again i thought the dials, then i thought the heater controls, touched the gear knob and hey presto. Was able to cup my hand over the gear knob and increase and decrease the pressure to make the buzzing play a tune lmao. Thing is no matter how i fiddled with the knob i could not stop the sound, i dont know what the stick attaches to under the gatter, but i would say that is where the problem is, a loose nut, worn washer etc.

I think mike-f has it, took it out for a blast on the Mway just now. Again i thought the dials, then i thought the heater controls, touched the gear knob and hey presto. Was able to cup my hand over the gear knob and increase and decrease the pressure to make the buzzing play a tune lmao. Thing is no matter how i fiddled with the knob i could not stop the sound, i dont know what the stick attaches to under the gatter, but i would say that is where the problem is, a loose nut, worn washer etc.
This is my exact problem!

Yeah mines done it since i got it :/ it's fine when your pulling but when your just going along it gets on your nerves doesn't it haha
Yeah, such a strange noise... I started a thread over mine. All sorts came up, bearings/ new g/box/ diff... all sorts!

Let us know what you find... If I have time at end off week I'm gonna investigate, gotta be somethig loose around the shifter, if not then I'm guessing it'll be gear linkage, which I'm sorting anyway...

Awesome! How'd you find that? I know theres a few different types of clutch pedals so depends which you have. One type has return springs in it which I know you can remove with no great loss...

Ill try that tomorrow, so if i hold my foot on the pedal a bit it should stop or alter the noise :) If so good find, just need to find what to tighten...will report back tomorrow with my findings if the pedal is the cause.

Awesome! How'd you find that? I know theres a few different types of clutch pedals so depends which you have. One type has return springs in it which I know you can remove with no great loss...

just changing gear on Saturday it came to me all of a sudden!

Let me know what they find. I found today that when its buzzing on the motorway if i push the lever to one side when in 5th it stops:confused:

I got a buzzing noise in the cabin area. If i hold the gear stick it'll stop buzzing. On mines its Definitely the return spring that snapped and was rattling under the car. removing this helped now I'm getting a different rattling noise now but its only now and then :D

I really should get a new one as I think its the lost of tension on the gear stick thats making it vibrate.

oh while i remember the reason i know it was the return spring was the exhaust had to come off and we looked under the heat shield and the spring from 1-2 to 3-4 was free hanging with a missing end.

broken return spring maybe ?

No, i undid the heatshiel do cure the spring in neutral a while back, spring is fine. Having said that a couple of heatshield bolts threaded and the shield rattles, will heat silicon it firm again just to check.

i've been thinking (dangerous):confused: could mine be the clutch peddle spring? it is not the gearstick.

Have you moved the gearstick while it makes the buzzing and had no difference in sound? Personally i think the spring is way too small to make any proper buzzing, that would be more of a rattle and at all times. I only get the buzzing in 5th when pushing it on the mway, when i decelerate it stops:confused:

Right, I've pretty much solved mine I think? Mine was defo coming from the gear-stick so finally got around to checking out the linkage. I didn't have my ramps and I didn't fancy getting under a jacked up a car so just did it with her flat on the ground. I either loosened or tightened the bolt through the linkage at the g/box end. Did it one way and it made the problem worse, did it the other way (pulling spanner anti-clockwise) and it seems to have pretty much stopped the noise and as a bonus I'm not getting the difficulty selecting gears so much anymore...

Still needs a bit of tweaking and I'll have to wait till the interiors back in to see if it's completely solved the problem as I get too much road noise right now. When I get my ramps back I might put some copper washers in as Ciscqo suggested in the Micra files. Feeling good now that problem seems to be solved...

Thats interesting mate, i sometimes have issues getting into 3rd and 1st while on the move. I have no idea on what the linkage is and how it wears or if its a serviceable part, but will read up on the intrawebnet and my manual:D

Thats interesting mate, i sometimes have issues getting into 3rd and 1st while on the move. I have no idea on what the linkage is and how it wears or if its a serviceable part, but will read up on the intrawebnet and my manual:D
Don't bother with Hayne's mate, I read that when I first suspected it was the linkage and it just terrified me making out I had to drop the engine and the g/box out. Best thing to do is search on here and you'll find the answer.

Basically, if you get under the car, under the gear stick there is a rod that goes forward, attaching it to the gear box. At that end there is a double coupling allowing it to move through 4 directions. Well that seems to be where the fault normally lies...

It depends on the age and model but sometimes they have a nut and bolt through, some have a pin through etc... Mine has a pin through one coupling and a nut and bolt through the other... Just loosened that off and it's eased the problem right down. I had the 1st and 3rd problem too as well as the rattle... Like I said though will still need tweaking at some point but a vast improvement already!

Not sure if that makes sense? I'm sure somebody on here will be able to explain it alot better... What I do know is if its a pin through the coupling rather than a nut and bolt you can grind the head off, remove the pin and replace with a nut and bolt allowing adjustment...

Like I said, somebody more knowledgeable will be able to clue you up better...

Hi

Dorry to rehash this thread. I have a CVT automatic 1.3 K11. All been fine recently then out of nowhere. A massive noise has developed behind/in the dashboard.

The heater works OK and not the blower motor as doesn't hardly make any noise, so it's not that.

Basically it kicks straight in above 40/45mph sudddenly you get this loud noise. It gets much louder the faster you go to point you can't have a conversation; then stops below 40mph again!

I am wondering if could be speed cable. Is this a common problem on the K11?

Has anyone else had this issue. Can't really drive it on motorways at moment as so loud.

Back