Dispute with the RAC over damaged K12

Hi everyone,

I have an on going issue with the RAC, and I need some advice!

Briefly, a patrolman was called out when my Micra wouldn't start. When he arrived, he quickly determined it wasn't the battery or the starter motor, but rather a problem with either the ignition switch or an electrical fault somewhere between the ignition switch and the starter motor. Fair enough, because it has had problems starting before.

A jump start wouldn't work, so he put a live wire on the battery and one on the starter motor, which promptly started the car. This is where all the problems started. On the way home, the car went into 'limp home' mode, the MIL came on, and the following morning, the battery had drained completely.

I had to buy a battery charger, and I also purchased a nifty little code scanner from ebay (cost £15.00), which gave me a couple of fault codes - P1122 (Electric Throttle Control Function) and P1126 (Throttle Control Motor Relay). I contacted the RAC, who sent a chap out to basically confirm what I had already found out, so he couldn't fix the problem. He did recommend I went to the nearest RAC garage, which I politely refused!

The RAC have asked me to take it to a garage to inspect the vehicle and produce a report, but I'm guessing they won't do that free of charge.

My question is this - could the live wire starting method the original patrol man used have somehow damaged the electrics? The MIL has never come on before, and the battery has never been drained of power over night.

I appreciate any advice regarding this issue, thanks in advance.

Back