burn it (oil) rude boy!!!

since reworking a cilinder head a short while ago, the engine is consuming oil. (DRAT).

at meduim & high RPM it can be smelled in the exhaust fumes and after 3 weeks of commuting at motorway speeds the oil is below minimum....

I took intense care of the head surfaces and fitted a pukker new gasket etc....but at the time I couldnt get the old valve stem oil seals off from the head!!!!

(I even tried to carefully prise them with a flatblade scredriver...but to no avail.)....so Im suspecting the oil consumption is due to failed valve seal(s)....

I want to have a go at replacing the seals again.....does anyone have any hints on removal & refitting?

yep,

do you suspect a grinding paste contamination problem?

or that side to side rotation (during grinding) on the seals has deaddened the seals?

the only other precautions I took was passing a clean oil soked rag through the guides and cleaned the valves completely in oil afterwards too before refitting.....

cheers frank :)

sammohung

yes, grinding paste is evil stuff !
i always grind them valve head down, with a rubber tube on the stem, so any contamination falls down the combustion chamber, and not down the port or stem
the seals just flick off (brute force needed :eek: ), and i,ve done them before, by leaving the head on btw

thanks again frank,

sounds like you're confirming my suspicions....

and since I really cant be fudged getting the head off again unles its really necesary....i think I will fabricate???? a custom valve spring compressor arrangement si that I cn leave the head on too..

I cant beleive the seals are suposed to just 'flick off'...may be I should break outr the industrial rubber gloves....ooer

thanks again mate

sammohung

i think, if you cut down an allen key and lower it down the plug hole, then turn it towards the valve and raise the piston to trap the valve ?
and you can push ma springs down by hand surely ?

MA series engines are renound for burning oil after a head removal. In some cases its dirt that falls into the ring lands causing them not to sit correctly.

MA series engines are renound for burning oil after a head removal.

I live and learn :-(

In some cases its dirt that falls into the ring lands causing them not to sit correctly.

OH PAP!

that (and the possibillity of a bad head gasket mating) were on my mind too...I guess the valve stem oil seals are the easiest to change first off and then see how it goes over the following month?

cheers again

Back