Fitting an oil catch can to a diesel K12

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Right, in an attempt to reduce the oil coming up the pressurised air tube (could be the turbo bearing but shouldn't be because I always warm up and cool the turbo when setting off and arriving) and to keep the inlet system a bit cleaner, I'm going to fit a catch can. The arrows in the pic's show the vapour path out the engine and into the air feed pipe.

This pic shows the tube that feeds the vapour from the engine to the airtube. The plastic assembly at one end is a valve that opens under certain pressure conditions. It looks like the valve feeds from the return tube from the intercooler but there's a hidden tube underneath that feeds from the cylinder head.

catchtank_1a.png

This pic shows the tube removed.

catchtank_2a.png

And this is the £20 eBay catch can. Quality is pretty good except for the O-rings which look like they're made of old liquorice. A trip to halfrauds should sort that out :):

catchtank_3a.png

Now to track down some 15mm ID rubber oil tubing...

Ah its arrived. Have you checked your aluminium hose connections? My seemed a tiny bit flimsy and had no seal on them at all so a pair of small o rings and thread lock was in order :)
As for the O-rings on the tank itself... they do look dodgy but mine have held up well so far :)

I have to confess I picked up a box of assorted o rings from halfrauds today :). Threadlock will be used...

Back