BP Ultimate 102

There is so much myth and nonsesne in this thread!!! The whole "its what my mate said" opinionated posts are the cause of so much internet 'noise'! Getting fuel from the pumps in the morning would make no measurable difference since the fuel is stored at a level where it would take days to change according to ambient temp anyway.

I can say based on facts from my own experiments that optimax and tescos 99ron are almist identical from my experience in knock resistance, however optimax gets better MPG. I have tried all fuels from 95 ron upto Cool blue 106 and GT+ 109. GT+ is amazing. It has a 4.5% oxyen content as well, so you can run richer and still get more power. I never got the full benefit from this as I didn't have enough time to play with the ign timing but I still have about 12 litres to play with :) but for the price of Ultimate 102 there is NO WAY I would bother with it, mix Optimax with some touliene and you would get much more than 102 octane for less than £1 litre.

Ed said:
Getting fuel from the pumps in the morning would make no measurable difference since the fuel is stored at a level where it would take days to change according to ambient temp anyway.

the fuel would change temp once its in the tank of your car on a hot day.the fuel stored at the pumps is underground im guessing its cool uderground in those tanks.

as for the differnce in pence it would make.ide say not much but there would be a measurable one

You would not beable to measure the difference. In a controlled enviroment - yes, not from your car however!

the science of it is right it appears. i need to find an indication of the time it takes garage tanks to be effected and if morning makes a difference. it would seem that a greater effect could be had from when the fuel was transported into the garage as the temp of the tanker would be different from the storage tanks. unless the fuel is cooled in the tanker etc.
do you have proof that it makes no difference or is it just your opinion?

i took this quote from http://www.wipo.int/cgi-pct/guest/getbykey5?KEY=01/84103.011108&ELEMENT_SET=DECL which mentions the significant changes petrol can be subject to.
"Underground petroleum fuel lines can experience large, nonlinear temperature changes, which produce large, thermally induced pressure changes, because the coefficient of thermal expansion for petroleum fuels is large and the temperature of the product brought into the line can be very different than the temperature of the fuel in the line or the ground surrounding the line. A new temperature condition is generated any time fuel from a storage tank is transferred through a pipe."

This is all very well, but if it were an issue the fuel delievery system would be temperature compensated at the pump.

It's about a 1% variation in volume over 10 degrees for petrol. However, the temperature in an underground tank will change less than 5 degrees over the entire year. However, if the tank has just been filled by a tanker driving round in the sun or cold, the temperature could vary. It's not going to make much difference.

It makes a difference when you are looking at the volume of 4000 tonnes of fuel, which is what my normal fill up is.

to confirm i have read this which indicates indeed the tanker delivery gives the most temp change.
"Temperature Change

Temperature changes cause expansion/contraction of both the tank and the fluid contained therein. Typically the expansion rate of a tank is less than that of the fluid it contains. The tank volume change is at its greatest after a delivery when the temperature difference between existing product in the tank and newly delivered product is at its highest.

The effect that temperature change has on product level within a tank is generally regarded as being the most significant variable that can influence volumetric testing. It is therefore essential that a sufficient stabilisation period is adhered to."
from http://www.energyinst.org.uk/index.cfm?PageID=724

Andrew said:
It's about a 1% variation in volume over 10 degrees for petrol. However, the temperature in an underground tank will change less than 5 degrees over the entire year. However, if the tank has just been filled by a tanker driving round in the sun or cold, the temperature could vary. It's not going to make much difference.

It makes a difference when you are looking at the volume of 4000 tonnes of fuel, which is what my normal fill up is.

is 4000 tonnes your normal fill oup over what period of time?

now we're playing guess the vehicle! lol.
does it have wheels?
can you sit in it?

This is getting really really off topic... It will be cleaned up soon back to the origional thread..

242ppl, I heard that.................very expensive!!!!! Not suprised they used ITS to do the testing..........seems as though they hope it'll be good advertising. Would be interested to see the printout. I've actually been to that very lab for testing of fuel oils back in my days at Lloyd's.

Not something I would need, but at that price I'd prefer to get some 25l drums of race fuel and get a better bang for my buck. Guess we'll see how well it sells.

LOL, love the toluene comment ;)

Back