BP Ultimate 102

James

Chairman
Well, going past Maidstone yesterday, I came across one of the 7 stations that sell 102 octane BP Ultimate, so I thought I'd come in for a goosey.

First off, let's see how they market it...
137805685_4bba6d44f7.jpg

Oh look, a spare space next to that Chevvy Kalos... lets go in for a closer look...
137805808_68083bf929.jpg

Very nice looking pump that is! Even has a purity indicator on the nozzle! And a message in red informing you to "Always drive according to the road conditions and speed limits" haha

Well let's see how much this badboy costs then...
137805515_34e14df7a8.jpg

:eek:!! Must say i'm loving the "Press button to confirm purchase at this price" lol

Let's see what the person before me bought...
137805423_4a91db81d1.jpg

Not often you see the price outnumbering the litres by over 2 to 1! lol

What's that say... "Minimum delivery 2 litres eh?"
Ah it's only £4.80!
137805235_0308ff9eb5.jpg

137805346_17190c47dd.jpg

And look what you get for your troubles!
137816705_bd0d237fc0.jpg

137816690_d43025eebc.jpg

A 40 page booklet and a fuel purity report from the testing station in Grays, Essex! hehe

In summary, I think unless you own a turbo/highpower car I wouldn't buy the stuff haha :)

James.

Haha, well done - scan some interesting info in from the mags if you can - we dont get the 102 up north :)

bloody hell 242p would cost like 50 quid+ to top up a k11 lol but now gotta wait n c what shell have to offer to the market :) it b good 4 us if they go to war with each other :D

unbelieveable!

But the question is.. does it make the Micra run quicker, react quicker, more MPG?? :)

Zephyr said:
bloody hell 242p would cost like 50 quid+ to top up a k11 lol but now gotta wait n c what shell have to offer to the market :) it b good 4 us if they go to war with each other :D
£96.80 from empty to full actually! :eek:

And Andy_S, I dunno, it only has 2 litres of the stuff in it haha

It starts to loose its appeal as a motorsport fuel too when you can get proper race fuel for:

Cool Blue Unleaded 106 octane 25 litre £ 79.00
Sunoco GT Plus Unleaded 109 octane 25 litre £ 72.85
Sunoco Supreme Leaded 114 octane 25 litre £ 76.38
Sunoco Supreme NOS 120+ octane 25 litre £ 97.53

Sunoco GT Plus is only another 50p/litre more for another 7 octane points! And its designed as proper race fuel too!

hmmm...i guess it wouldnt work to well.
but then i have a tdi. lol

Such a con for that price...i thought optimax was expensive!

JK

so after that then can you still affored to go bowling james.
and if it's £100 to fill up i micra i hate to think how much it would cost to fill the nissan 200 up.
and the worst thing is you don't get the most out off the feul unless or car mapped for it, then you get down the road need to fill up and guess what no 102 ultimate. optimax wins

bp 102 is about the same octane rating as 5 star used to be, and that was only a couple pence more than regular. remember 2/3/4/5 star petrol. smell the lead.
the times monitored stations for 48 hours and only recorded 1 purchase, they called the other stations and reported only 5 other confirmed purchases. when a spokesman was asked about specific quantites were sold, he said the responce had been "overwhelming".....

the biggest customers had been kent police who filled up their volvos with the public paid for fuel. after the matter was raised they said it was a mistake and they woudlnt do it again! lol.
porche said that all of its engines have a rated maximum,doesnt matter which fuel you put in the power wont change. they say 95 ron is the standard, but with some of their turbo engines they recomend using 98 ron. they did say however that 102 may give slightly more mpg and burn more cleanly.
(just how optimax does i believe, for a lot cheaper).

Speedle said:
tesco's 99 ron it is then.... 242p how can they justify that riduculous......

Because it's created a frenzy in car enthusiast forums, with a lot of people buying the stuff at that price. It's working for them.

And if I am being very cynical, the reason they are doing this is to introduce much higher prices to see what consumers do before even normal unleaded gets raised to £2 a litre.

Btw, Tesco's 99 ron isnt actually 99 ron, its all a marketing gimmick, just 'lesser' fuel with loads of additives. Optimax is still better....

my jap import celica gt4s factory ECU is optimised to run higher ron rated fuel supplied in japan.

it has more aggressive ignition timing when supplied with better fuel

mine seems to run well on optimax @ 98 ron would like to see how well it went on this 102 as a comparison.

even if it did go better on the 102 it would probably only be used occasionally maybe for rolling road or trackday club meets.

for pure motorway miles i stick more or less any 95 ron in and remember to turn down the boost.

bp are selling this fuel for about £1.50 a litre and the rest is tax. nearly £1 a litre the governemnt are making!

Retepetsir said:
Btw, Tesco's 99 ron isnt actually 99 ron, its all a marketing gimmick, just 'lesser' fuel with loads of additives. Optimax is still better....

You cannot state a fuel has 99 RON unless it has been tested to be 99 RON. Most fuels available, if pure, without any additives would be below 95 RON, it is only the addition of additives that bring it up higher.

there can also be confusion on what RON is, it can be Reasearch Octane Rating or Road Octane Number, they are different see quote.

"Octane Numbers
Usually, there are three different octane numbers associated with all petrols. Petrol's Research Octane Number (RON) is measured under simple test conditions. Petrol's Motor Octane Number (MON) is measured under tougher test conditions and at higher engine speed and temperature.

The average of these two values is what becomes related closer to actual driving conditions. This value is known as the Road Octane Number, and is what should be used in filling stations.

Occasionally, some filling stations will confuse these different octane numbers in a bid to embellish on their octane rating claims, and advertise their fuel's Research Octane Number, which is higher than the Road Octane Number. In many European countries, the Research Octane Number is advertised on pumps, so a much higher octane value is common when travelling in certain countries."

Andrew said:
You cannot state a fuel has 99 RON unless it has been tested to be 99 RON. Most fuels available, if pure, without any additives would be below 95 RON, it is only the addition of additives that bring it up higher.

Maybe its the Research Octane Number then?

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, its just what I've heard, not being as good as they make it out to be.

Yeah in america they take the average of the Research and the Motor Octane Numbers, and on pumps you will see it marked as (R+M)/2

Which is why their petrol grades seem so much lower than the rest of the world (87, 91 and 93)

Incidentally, Tescos (R+M)/2 would be: 93
BP Ultimate 102 would be: 96

Retepetsir said:

i have herd that optimax is the same (uses additives) and after time goes off in the pumps or evn your tank.

What happened to the "turn of mobile phones on the forecourt"? lol :p

I wouldnt pay that much for petrol, doesnt really seem worth it.

Alienfish360 said:
I doubt it'll go off in the pump, well it probably will do, but I doubt it will be in the pump log enough

dont forget it travels along way in the tanker,then in could be in the pumps for weeks..

im just saying what ive herd on another forum..

did you know especially in summer you should buy your petrol 1st thing in the morning as the petrol is condensed, as it warms up from the heat of the day it expands, but the pump charges you for volume not weight. so you can economise by early morning pitstops.
hmm petrol in norway must be a good buy.

paddymarsden said:
you get more for your money when its a cold morning not warm

what he is saying is..it would expand more on a hot day that has a cold morning

what i said is buy petrol in the morning when its cooler than the rest of the day. didnt i?

nizzanz1 said:
what i said is buy petrol in the morning when its cooler than the rest of the day. didnt i?

yes but if you buy it in the morning at 5 degree and later on it goes up to 10 you would be better buying on a hotter day with a cold morning.say 5 degree then gets upto 25 degree :) because it will expand more.

RIK said:
yes but if you buy it in the morning at 5 degree and later on it goes up to 10 you would be better buying on a hotter day with a cold morning.say 5 degree then gets upto 25 degree :) because it will expand more.
better because you could have lost out more you mean, but other wise you still getting the same on both situations, as its 5 degrees. lol getting a bit complex now.
anyway in the summer buy in the morning.
that is the rule.

nizzanz1 said:
better because you could have lost out more you mean, but other wise you still getting the same on both situations, as its 5 degrees. lol getting a bit complex now.
anyway in the summer buy in the morning.
that is the rule.

yes...too early for my brain

It's academic anyway - the expansion coefficient of petrol is very small, and would only make a difference if you fill up a lot.

is there a % it raises from say 10 to 20 degree ambient? if its as much as a 0.1% then its worth doing. i have read a few guides in the newspaper listing ways to save petrol and this was one of them listed so it must make a difference. remember we use petrol almost every day of our lives, if its only a 1p saving a day that could be upto a £300 saving in a lifetime lol. but it could be a lot more i dont know.

Andrew said:
It's academic anyway - the expansion coefficient of petrol is very small, and would only make a difference if you fill up a lot.
Does 250 litres a month count as a lot? :wasntme: lol

thats expensive, i found this at an abandoned petrol station near me today and cars where pulling in thinking that was the price of fuel haha.

Attachments

• fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 339
well i remember in the early 80's when petrol was about £1.40 gallon which is 31p a litre. wish i could drive those days. although most cars would have been rubbish.

i think i remember red diesel not long ago being 9p a litre.
which would probably lead onto a discussion about cheap use of veg oils etc. but lets not talk about the evil smelly fuels that come out of black pumps.

Back