Boot / Fuel Door Release

CMF_modular

» CMF Member
Hi,
Just bought myself a 95 SLX, complete with factory speed stripes *puke*, and am really surprised with just how much fun this little car is to drive.

The Boot / Fuel Door release lever, down by the driver's side door, doesn't work for either boot or fuel door. This seems to be a fairly common problem.

I've been quoted $90 plus labor, which is absurd for what is essentially a broken cable linkage.
Has anyone else fixed this before, words of wisdom to save me pulling out my hair trying to fix this?

Peas.

cisco

» CMF Member
Actually, I reckon $90 isn't too bad for the part. Its a pretty intricate custom part to fit exactly a micra and nothing else.

I had problems with one of these on one of my micras. I went down the path of trying to fix it a million times with glue (most likely it will be the plastic having turned very brittle and half fallen to bits).. But basically with mine, it couldn't be fixed. It worked for like a day or two, but then the glue broke again, and the plastic became even more damaged.

I found a new one from a wreck and just re-installed it. You can do the re-install yourself quite easily, but its a fiddly job, but not too bad.

If you can get a brand new entire replacement for $90, I would just get it, it will last forever if its brand new and the plastic if fresh.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Yeh $90 is a good price really.

But i should note that Pulsars use the exact same release. n14 and n15 that is. I'm 99.9% certain you could fit the pulsar item in the micra.

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
That's spot on Yom... that's what my mate Jason did to fix my problem.
Before that I was popping the hatch and reaching behind the trim to release the fuel door. Unlike the previous owner who decided that the key was a good lever to flex the fuel flap past the catch. Silly Person (that's the clean insult!!)

Back