fuel / boot release not working?

stokie1985

Ex. Club Member
Hi guys/gals. I recently bought a 1995 micra 1.3 lx. Anyways the fuel / boot release doesn't work so I have to use pring it open every time I fuel up which is annoying because when I close it, it sticks out a little. I think the cable has snapped or something but I am no expert on these things so I thought I would ask on here to see if anyone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Hi guys/gals. I recently bought a 1995 micra 1.3 lx. Anyways the fuel / boot release doesn't work so I have to use pring it open every time I fuel up which is annoying because when I close it, it sticks out a little. I think the cable has snapped or something but I am no expert on these things so I thought I would ask on here to see if anyone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

I would say check the cable but I know from removing one that it's a complete pain, it runs under the carpet along the drivers side, crosses over under the back seats, to the passenger side, goes up into the metal of the boot to get to the petrol filler cap and then goes round inside the metal of the car to the boot latch. Could always try peeling back some of the carpet opposing the filler cap and see if you can get in to take a look/find any damage.

I would say check the cable but I know from removing one that it's a complete pain, it runs under the carpet along the drivers side, crosses over under the back seats, to the passenger side, goes up into the metal of the boot to get to the petrol filler cap and then goes round inside the metal of the car to the boot latch. Could always try peeling back some of the carpet opposing the filler cap and see if you can get in to take a look/find any damage.
Thanks mate, I'll try that and see how I get on.

Id check the cable end at the release handle that's beside the drivers seat...especially as both the fuel and boot doors aren't working. :)

You might get lucky and its just escaped its mount point.

Id check the cable end at the release handle that's beside the drivers seat...especially as both the fuel and boot doors aren't working. :)

You might get lucky and its just escaped its mount point.

That's a good point actually, They do work their way loose pretty easily.

That's a good point actually, They do work their way loose pretty easily.

I've never had an problems with them.

However as its a T piece at the end that sits in a cutout, it's maybe possible for it to pop out if it's already wiggled slightly and its pulled really quickly...though most of the time (from ones i've seen) failure seems to be caused by either the handle breaking (pulled to far) or sometimes the soldered T piece to pop off / cable to snap...the idea that it might have escaped was just a best case suggestion, i didn't want to doom and gloom it with "its broke". :D

Thanks guys. I haven't had a look yet, I've just bent the metal connector ever so slightly so that when I close it, it doesn't stick out at all. I don't mind using an old key to pring it open now, so I'm just going to leave it the way it is. But thanks for all your help and advice guys.

Back