Bonnet respray:cost in North England

CMF_mike004

» CMF Member
2001 Micra Active, Metallic Light Green
I have had a prang :( and need a replacement bonnet.

In the UK, a brand new grey primer bonnet is 90 pounds.
How much would it cost to respray this at a back-street body shop?

Or, I can get a bonnet from a salvage yard for 50 quid. Would it be possible to respray this at a later stage?

Thanks
Mike

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
If you can find a black bonnet at a wreckers (I think you'd probably refer to them as breakers or whatever over there.. just wrecking yards I mean) then it'll go with anything as black does ;) You can respray a bonnet to whatever you want at a later date, but you'd probably only be doing the exterior so if you're picky, then you'd want one close to the colour if you can manage.

Though 90 isn't bad for a new bonnet in primer, there's nothing wrong about getting a cheapie from the wreckers if you can find one, just respray the exterior of it later if need-be.

---dens

CMF_mike004

» CMF Member
Thanks,

The wreckers have a blue one for 50 quid.

However, I have been quoted 230 quid for respraying by a couple of garages (not main dealers).
So, I'll be driving a 2-tone car for the moment.

Only thing is, getting the existing bonnet off might be a pain. It won't open. Something is bent in the bonnet catch mechanism, probably.
Do you think it is worth getting a bonnet catch from the scrapyard, or will I be able to hammer it straight?

Mike

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
mike
it,s probably the slam panel that has moved back trapping the bonnet catch, you,ll easily pull that back into place with a bit of brute force, and £200 is a good price, if they blend the adjacent panels also (to ensure a colour match)

frank

CMF_mike004

» CMF Member
kristian... WROTE:

"I can offer a respray at a very competitive rate 80.. or even possibly a bonnet your color for less than 100..

At my workshop in NW, Wigan area..

Sorry, but I am in Yorks, so its a bit far for me.
Quite a difference in quotes, 80 vs. 230!

PS: I managed to open the bonnet, but then found I couldn't close it again. The front bar where the catch is mounted, and the catch itself, was bent back in the impact. So, it's tied up with washing line.
My Micra has a 2 radiators: an aircon radiator, located in front of the main radiator. Neither of the radiators isleaking, but the aircon one is bent. Given that I rarely use aircon, and I'm not even sure if it works anyway, I can live with this.

Mike

CMF_mike004

» CMF Member
Just been quoted 100 quid + VAT for fitting bonnet + headlight + "pulling out". I supply the parts.
I went to 2 garages and neither of them asked me to lift the bonnet...

Mike

Back