Bodge Job Induction Kit

Nans_Micra

Ex. Club Member
This morning my k&n induction kit arrived (a k11 one off ebay for £12 :grinning:) and about an hour ago I had a go at fitting it. At the moment it's connected and seems to work okay. Thing is, I cant use the support bracket that came with it to hold it in place because there isn't a anywhere to bolt it to, it's just resting between the plastic top of the engine and the front cross-member:doh:

Anybody with suggestions as to the best way to supporting the filter cone? There isn't much room for manoeuvring in there at all.

Yeah, I just bought it cos I knew it had the same inlet diameter and it was going cheap. I fancied giving myself a little job to do instead of studying really! Plus, one of my friends has a micra rally project going on at the moment and he said he would buy it off me if I couldn't get it to work. It's connected to the engine alright so far......and it sounds gooood :blush:

I thought of cutting the pipe and doing this.....

But I don't think there wouldn't be much air flow because the radiator is in the way. Or would putting it behind the radiator fan be alrighto_O

if the pipe from ya filter box ( it is the filter box aint it ) to filter was longer would it squeeze next to the radiator behind the grill?

why cant you do this?
045rt.jpg

straight bit of aluminium bent and a hole in one end to bolt down?

Been having a fiddle with the damn thing all day, grated my fingers to bits. Decided that during the week I'll do my best to get it under the battery because I took it for a test drive and afterwards the filter was pretty warm...not good. It'll either be under the battery or maybe I'll make a heat shield with a bracket like Shaun suggested. All part of the learning process!

id imagine 'heatsoak' from the manifold is going to kill whatever power gains that air filter offered if you keep it there.

id extend the pipe and try fit it at the same level as, but in front of the alternator so it could be sucking cold air in from the grille... or possibly mount it in between the battery and the abs module?

it looks the coolest where it is now but lets face it, when are you ever going to look at it again ;) you want it where the bhp gains are :D

if any bhp gains were to be had then yeah behind the battery or outside the engine bay is best, like a cold air intake pipe from outside in the grill etc.

I'm going to run this down towards the lower grill in the bumper, and then connect a hose from it to the airbox. We'll see how it goes anyway!

Look at that bad boy haha...

I've driven it to college and back this morning and the aluminium pipe stayed very cold despite being quite close to the engine. The other pipe wasn't so cool, so I'm thinking of wrapping some shiny tape on it...thoughts? And should I lower the filter cone so it sits over the grill a bit more? I was worried about stones flying into it if I lowered it too much??

Does the cone filter have a larger surface area than the standard filter?

Perhaps you would be better of replacing the standard filter with a reuseable one and just install the ducting to the front of the car in clean air. That way the filter would be protected from grime/water etc as well as heat soak, retain the airbox volume and have fresh cold air delivered to it.

Well after a week of driving with this thing on I scrapped the idea, and put the filter cone on ebay. It made me very wary when going over speed bumps, which there are loads of where I live. Kept having to check on it every day because it was slowly slipping lower and lower! At lunchtime I basically did what Bombardier suggested, fixed my K&N replacement filter in place and used the air feed to direct cold air to it. It doesn't look too pretty at the moment but I've got some flexible aluminium cold air feed pipe coming tomorrow and cable ties, so no more tape! :laugh:

The filter box and intake tube may also benefit from a coat of reflective paint and/or a thin layer of aluminium/ foil to reduce radiant heat soak.

I would recommend having a small space between the airbox and the aluminium/foil.

This is how it looks now:

I need to find a way of holding the filter in place that's a bit tidier than green wire. I don't want to permanently seal the filter on, what should I do?

Why do you have two cold air feeds? isnt there only one inlet hole? i'm only asking because i'm trying to do a similar job, but using a panel filter upgrade rather than a cone... trying to think of ways to indirectly feed cold air towards the air box intake. thought of possibly taking out one of the fog light plastic 'blank' covers and running a feed up towards the intake. I wont be connecting it directly to the airbox but rather using it as a way of feeding cold air to the suction area. If you can understand where i'm going with this... please could you offer some guidance/ ideas?!! thank you!

Hi, well what I did was take the airbox completely off, as you would to change the air filter, and now the filter is held tightly in place with wire. The air feeds are about 3-4 inches from the filter. My reasoning for two feeds was basically: the more air I can get to reach the filter, the better! (Y)

Ah right that makes sense now, i didnt realise you'd taken the housing off. Have you ever worried about water getting onto the filter and then working its way into the engine? someone today just told me that what ever i do, just make sure water cant get onto the filter. Have you noticed any performance increase/decrease? and does the engine 'note' sound better? Where can I buy that alu feed pipe from and how much would it set me back?! I appreciate your help! cheers mate!

Anyone interested in buying air filters.... www.racedynamics.co.uk have great prices on filters for K12's and free postage.

there's no chance of water getting in unless you stick a house pipe under the bonnet:laugh:. there's a nice roar, smoother acceleration and possibly improved mpg (definatley no decrease in mpg)! you can find the alu pipe on ebay for a £5 per 1/2 meter i think it was, just search for air intake hose.

so my plan is to fit a K&N filter thats replacing a standard filter placing it bellow or ona side, and add a flex tube that is comming from fog light towerds the filter...

The big questions you should ask yourself is this - 1. Does it rain where I live? and 2. Which way does my cooling fan push the air?

The standard air intake point is situated so that water pushed through the fan by airflow from at speed driving or the cooling fan does not enter the air filter.

A better option would be to use the free flowing panel filterand retain the airbox cover to protect the filter, enlarge the hole entering the airbox and place a correspondingly sized air tube to the original area for cold/fresh air pick up.

This is my suggestion for both performance and engine life in real driving conditions.

Sorry I haven't been around for a couple of weeks, had 9 a-level exams :down:
Anyway, my new plan is to get hold of another airbox (PM me if you've got one spare!!(Y)) and cut it so I just have the part that holds the air filter in place, like in the induction kit:
kitcopy.jpg

Then it will look a bit more respectable than having 3 lengths of green garden wire:laugh:

P.S. Glad I could help Cricketboy!(Y)

How did you attach the pipe to the airbox? And was the pipe issued with the kit or as aftermarket? And what were the dimensions of the pipe? haha :p sorry, been busting my a** trying to compile enough data and parts to do this with a pipercross induction kit and do it to my own car. Easy? Yeah right haha

How did you attach the pipe to the airbox? And was the pipe issued with the kit or as aftermarket? And what were the dimensions of the pipe? haha :p sorry, been busting my a** trying to compile enough data and parts to do this with a pipercross induction kit and do it to my own car. Easy? Yeah right haha
dont hold your breath waiting for an answer ;)
Nans_Micra was last seen:
Nov 30, 2010

Haha cheers mate ;) you ever done anything like this? Cause the only real issue I'm having is partially space but I've figured it out ..... almost haha but the big one is hooking the induction kit up to the airbox. The pipercross kit claims to have a 150mm outer base diameter (?) and, according to one site, has a pipe diameter of 70mm, which sure as hell won't fit onto the 32mm airbox :mad: although the 1st stage of the standard air intake is around 65mm, it points at a bloody awkward angle which means that if I was to attach the induction kit to it, it'd be banging against the exhaust manifold, and putting an induction pipe to extend the intake pipe will work but it'll be in some contact with the exhaust manifold :( the only other thing I can think of is to use a 45 degree intake pipe and hook this up to a straight intake pipe which would put the air induction down near the bumper wings where Nans_Micra had his after his quick mod. But still the problem remains of attaching this to the airbox because both pipes need to be 70mm to attach to the induction kit but the airbox is only 32mm ....... there ARE some pipe reduction attachment type thingies but it'd be getting a bit flimsy and overcrowded if I started putting all of this stuff on the induction kit. Help?? haha

i,ve never worked on a k12 tbh, so would only be guessing, but a few of us have found that induction kits sound nice, but tend to actually lose power.
i would time a 0 to 60 with the airbox removed first, then decide

Intake diameter into airbox is 65mm OD. Just find some piping to fit, route the same way and run a k&n panel filter. Done. Btw, raptor, does your intake pipe have 3 holes in the back of it on the engine side? I just noticed today, thought it was odd. Might block them off.

It has a hole or two along the bottom and then some smaller boxes off to the side. The box on the side of the air intake pipe and the box off to the side of the airbox are both to collect debris that gets sucked into the air intake: the bigger and heavier bits will get forced to the outside of the pipe and blown into the intake when the air gets sucked around a corner, or fall to the bottom and drop out the holes on the air intake pipe. So yeah, you could block them off and probably should to be honest because it probably loses some of the air that gets taken in because it gets blown into the filter compartments. And if the air filter is doing its job, the derbis should be getting stopped by the filter. You can just pop off the filter boxes with a screwdriver then just file the plastic away until the surface is relatively flat and then tape over it or something ....

And I'm probably just going to end up doing something like Nans_Micra did tbh; I have planned it out a LOT more than he did, I'm pretty sure haha :p just get a flexi pipe, clamp that over the airbox pipe, run that to just above the manifold, aluminium straight pipe bracketed onto the metal cover with the bonnet latching mechanism and then to the metal bar just behind the bumper, induction kit behind the bumper wings, heat-shield covering the back end from the exhaust manifold and then bolt that onto the chassis. I mean, imagine where Nans_Micra's induction filter is but slightly lower and to the right ..... would that get enough air to it or ....?

Is that a rhetorical question? And myself and Morcs both have K12s so it's different ........ very different ....... quite possibly the worst car to try and modify because of the tiny engine compartment

i have the standard back on now,was a test. shows i may be over fueling as less fuel was being burned with big pipe.

My main annoyance is that the only place in the front of the engine bay that cold air can get in effectively is the small hole that feeds air toward the alternator . K12s are sealed up pretty good

Exactly, which is why I'm putting it down behind the bumper wings with loads of support struts to hold it there. The other place is behind the battery, but it's miles away from any cold air sources, plus it'd be getting too cramped to try and put an induction kit, heat shield and a cold air feed there, partially because it's so isolated and partially because there's nowhere to attach the brackets too ..........

Back