Bilstein B4 dampers with HOL lowering springs

As above really, my K11 (used as a daily and the odd trip to the track) already has a set of hol springs, fronts are the 50/60mm drop, cant quite remember but as far as matt humphris goes, and rears are 80mm.

One of my front dampers is on its way out, so I wouldnt mind a set of bilsteins B4 dampers as they seem reasonably priced, and likely a better feel than stock. My concern is in the description it states they should be fine with lowering springs with a max drop of 40mm.

So just wondering if anyone has used a similar set up without drama? Dont fancy buying a full kit for it all not to fit...

Any help or advice appreciated, cheers!

I used to have the bilstein streetline kit which paired the VNE4481 front shocks and BNE2858 rear shocks with progressive Apex 30mm lower springs

k750-437-jpg.30798
k750-432-jpg.30796

k750-436-jpg.30797

micra-holiday-2010-4-807-jpg.41590

for high performance & consistant handling, carefully matching the springs with the dampers range at a sensible ride height is important to ensure:
- dampers length & bump stop prevent wheels from striking the arch
- springs supporting chassis high enough to provide some "useful" bump travel
- dampers travel short enough to keep springs captive
- dampers travel long enough to make full use of the springs free length

bilstein states max 40mm lowered where their testing shows it'll provide optimum amount of working bump & droop travel.

by running at 80mm beyond recommended dampers spec, it'll potentially run out of bump travel, worst case it rides purely on bump stops.
this renders the dampers useless, lose traction over bumps during braking/corner exit, potentially damaging the piston as it repeatedly bottoms-out smashing against the nitrogen floating piston, & create a very harse ride over any bumps.

Back