engine upgrade guide

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
Well it looks like my k11 is not going to sell I think due to the fact its holiday season but not to worry like I said I would keep her and upgrade the engine and give her some much needed BHP to go with her new cloths lol. But whats this there is no divinitive guide to doing this even though its been done many many times......so its about time there was one, One k11 guide that could be used for both 1.6 and 2ltr conversions. Another factor in this is we all cant afford to go out and pay hundreds of ££££££££££££ on new ecu units and all the other goodies like turbo charging kits and stainless steel 4 branch manifolds and exhausts some of us have kids to feed houses to maintain rent to pay so we need a guide that would give us the bigger engine but without the high buy it now price tag. for instance I would love to have a 1.6 micra that in its self would be fast enough for the twisting bending roads where I live there is no need for turbos I dont want to spend thousands AS I have a family and family must come first.....so come on guys its been done put it in one guide so that those of us with other mouths to feed can have a go....
For instance what do I weld in engine bay what ecu unit and from what year do I use for the bigger engine not forgetting the nats system , what rad do i use what part of exhaust what upgrades to brakes and what drive shafts do I use hybrid shafts if so how do i build them...................

well thats hit that nail on the head..........by what do you mean cheap i didnt mean for nowt i ment within reason, if you had a complete doner car ie primera 1.6 how much more would you need and what more would you need. you cant just say it cant be done cheap that answers no questions what so ever mate. For example I could buy a primera write off 200 quid easy what else would I need to do I know and other knows you need mounts and chassis altered but do you have to seem weld engine bay do you have to do this or that........going to be totally honest here guys when I built a corsa 2ltr I went onto migweb and there it was in one post all you needed to know from splicing the harness to a link to the reinforcements needed for iner wings and turretts all laid out in a step by step quide. on here you have to trail through post after post about who has done what and try and piece it all together it would make more sence and do a complete quide on the buget side with the option to spend money. If the sites about keeping micras alive then ok we can put an engine in like for like thats easy but if you want more then you hit a brick wall..........

this type of guide could be a good thing, surely those members that are or have done this type of engine transplant could get together and do a ground up guide.

what how to eat hay with a horse or do engine conversion if its the engine conversion wont that defeat the object of this post.....when there is no guide to start with and you have some members saying you can use the doner ecu and others saying you cant its a bit like the nats system we all know it can be done otherwise how do micras get stolen but the ones who know , know as for us££££££££££

thats the point, your here whinging and saying someone should do.

but why? if there is no guide why not have a go yourself and make one, rather than expecting someone else to do it for you.

try trawling through the info, and starting a thread, people can add / correct if needed

what he is saying is that the if the corsa forum has made a guide so that he could follow it..... why should he stay with the micra when no one can be bothered to make a guide for the same sort of thing....even though its been done before.

its allmost like we dont care how many people tune the micra, just so long as someone else does it. we need to get together if we are serious about the micra. i mean we all own or have owned one in the past. we all found this forum and signed up.... and we all dream of having a "little bandit" alike..... so why cant we source all of information and make a guide, surely theres someone with pics.... prices.....manufacturing information...

and pete... all hes asking for is help. not for someone to do it for him, but help from people who have allready done it. after all, would you go into turbo-charging a micra without info from people like ED, DaveyC or Kristain?

its allmost like we dont care how many people tune the micra,

should we?

so why cant we source all of information and make a guide, surely theres someone with pics.... prices.....manufacturing information...

because 90% of people on here want others to do it for them! hence this thread, if you have the skills to do the swap, then you can probably figure out how to do, why should others use their time / money when you can't be bothered yourself? thats probably why more guides aren't added, you get very little thanks, but you will get some critism if somethings incorrect.
Why not have a go yourself and write a guide?

after all, would you go into turbo-charging a micra without info from people like ED, DaveyC or Kristain?

yes, certainly. and i certainly wouldn't be whinging because they hadn't supplied me with a step by step guide

im not whinging as you care to put it but to quote your homepage and im sure you have read it.............
Club Benefits
Membership to the only Micra club in the UK which is also recognised by Nissan UK.
Your very own unique membership card complete with personal details - Currently being re-designed
Your own online Garage to upload images and specification of your Nissan Micra to show others.
Included in your membership pack will be X3 Micra Sports Club window stickers. 1 for either your front and rear window and 1 for each side of your side windows
Club News letter - Team currently being put together
Access to the full forum, including members area, events section, additional micra forums, non car chat, Discounts & FAQ's and DIY guides
First hand Information on events, and the opportunity to meet other MSC members! The MSC attends JAE, Donny Show, Jap Show and many more throughout the year!!
Priority access to problems and help, we have unrivalled experience to help you with your Micra. This information has been gathered through 7 years of past experience and development of the MSC
Discounts on performance parts and accessories (air filters, tuning accessories, and lamps) We may also sell special parts only available through the club. - see listed below
Regular meetings both local and national (normally at least every 2 months).
A very active web forum, where members talk and exchange ideas on their projects.
TAKE A LOOK WHERE IT SAYS Priority access to problems and help ......So I have paid membership for someone to tell me have a go my self and then write guide.
There is more to having a guide than just following it for a start with a guide you can sorce all the parts before you start the project also with a guide your not going to hit brick walls .......and yes I can change a engine and spray paint but what is the point if i dont have evrything to hand to do a conversion and get stuck???????? oh yes micra sport they have done this before but hey they cant be bothered to help you.......to quote your homepage Priority access to problems and help.... Tell you what if thats the sort of help you get here then my membership wont be geting renewed......next time someone asks me to spray bumpers or full respray I will just tell them hey theres the gun there is the compressor do it your self......I did not want you to do it for me I am more than capable to do the work myself and while im ranting did I not GIVE AWAY free of charge and postage a decat pipe so it could be tested didnt ask for anything there did I NO. but hey now I know not to ask so I will take on board the same attitude....

first off, its not my site, and i didn't sign anything to give immediate technical advice. by Priority access to problems and help i think it means in the day to day forum, not technical.

please dont go off on a rant with me, my point was no-one on here is paid to give advice, so moaning about certainly wont solve it, people need to be more pro-active on the msc - especially if you want things yourself - you didn't pay your money for technical advice - you paid it to support the club, just as i do.

if you want some guides, why not make one for something you have done yourself, perhaps if more guides are added, more people are likely to add them

TAKE A LOOK WHERE IT SAYS Priority access to problems and help ......So I have paid membership for someone to tell me have a go my self and then write guide.

The MSC has ALOT of useful information on here, it just needs to be searched for! Ok, so nobody's sat down and written a guide, but 'Engine conversions' are not that common anyway. You could probably get alot of advice from looking through individual threads.

As quoted above, Priority access to problems and help, and im sure if you were to look through all threads, there aren't many which go unanswered or problems unsolved! This is the main area of the MSC. I'm not an admin but if there was a guide, written by the users for the users, then the MSC would publish it. You can't blame the MSC because someone hasn't written a guide on engine conversions!

Tell you what you have totally missed the point, how many times has a engine conversion been done to the micra and im not talking piddley little straight swap 1.3s can do them standing on my head supping tea. Yet no one wants or cares enough to write a guide on what was needed what could be used from a single doner car nothing...and you are wrong i did not join the club to support it i joined it because originally I had a nats 2 system shutdown like I said I was lead to beleave that the information that I was looking for was here and it wasnt so life goes on. But could you or would you have the know how to do al things to your car without help.....let me answer that for you the answer is no. Better still forget that I ever asked....its far to much hassle oh nearly forgot nowt like showing your true colours....wait till you need someone to help you.

The MSC has ALOT of useful information on here, it just needs to be searched for! Ok, so nobody's sat down and written a guide, but 'Engine conversions' are not that common anyway. You could probably get alot of advice from looking through individual threads.

As quoted above, Priority access to problems and help, and im sure if you were to look through all threads, there aren't many which go unanswered or problems unsolved! This is the main area of the MSC. I'm not an admin but if there was a guide, written by the users for the users, then the MSC would publish it. You can't blame the MSC because someone hasn't written a guide on engine conversions!

Thats the whole point im not pointing the finger if you read what i typed im asking for someone who has done the conversion to sit down and compile a simple easy to follow guide. I have read all the threads and there is too much conflicting advice its not a sin to ask if you have a doner car what can be used what cant what else would i need it dont matter to me one way or another ...............

In all honestly there isn't that many people here who have done the 1.6 or 2.0 conversion. You can count them on one hand. Also how many active MSC users do you know that are on here every single day that have done this conversion.......Kristian, who else?

There are more attempts at a turbo setup then an engine swap. The micra is more of a starter car, people come and go and the heavy tuning side of it, isn't that great, which is perfectly understandable.

I'm sure if Kristian had time he would do a guide, it's a shame there isn't more guides on the MSC, there really should be, but that's all down to the mentality of the members here. Pete is right to a degree that people just expect it to be there and done for them. I have requested guides to be done in the past, to point there has been a few done.

However if every person just wrote one guide, even if it was a simple as fitting a dash LED, then the MSC would be able to archive a HUGE amount of good information, I have raised this topic on manyy occasions in the past and have mixed feelings towards it.

Kev

Micra_pete, i think you have taken the wrong end of the stick to begin with! He was only asking people to share their experiences, esp people like Kristian, Davey C, Ed, Nis etc who have all got/had engine upgrades. At no point was he asking people to do it for him, he was trying to make the club better for everyone by trying to organise a guide!

So, we'll start again shall we!! Anyone who has upgraded your engine, whack some juicy info in here. From all the little pro's and con's i think we can make a nice guide for future engine dabblers, with what to avoid, and what to kill for! :D

Oooh, and Japseye, look out for Nex, he's a 1.6 engine owner :)

http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=17244

its sort of a guide

any other questions about it just ask

As your in the process of the conversion and have lots of images could you not make up a detailed guide to go with it? as you say your blog is kind of a guide.

But if you could do a step by step guide with images along the way that would be superb. Also things to list would be issues / problems you found along the way. details of suppliers of custom engine parts etc...

thanks
Kev

hooray someone looked at my post and read it for what it was intentended. thank you guys......I allways help out in any way i can brooney for 1 nex for another but if I could get the 1.6 conversion hit on the head ie if you can do it with a single doner car primera or even a 1.4 almera without having to spend hundreds of ££££££££s then with the tools and garage space I have then even more members can upgrade........im not asking for anything that wouldnt get paid back but if your going to rip out a 998cc engine why when its out put in a 1.3 surley a 1.4 or bigger would be better as there would be very little extra work involved. But its no good even trying to do it unless you get pointers and there is lots to take into consideration. like my car is a 97 nats 2 so with thinking cap on i would need a doner car with nats 2 system and its these questions that need an answer so you can do a simple engine conversion and make it a turn key job as opposed to a nightmare....

I'm sure i read that you can't swap nats over as it has a individual code to key! So to do that you'll need the original key from the donar car. I think. Don't quote me on that but i'm sure there was a recent thread on it!!

see first hurdle i remember when my nats kicked in i got ecu unit from scrap yard and just held the key next to ignition barrel started and died fault was pickup ring but I know what your saying and its a big hurdle to cross. I have workshop manual nothing in there realating to nats.....

tried that it dont work i have 2 none nats ecu,s and they didnt work the plugs are wired differant from one to the other.

1. take both engines out (1.3/1.0 and 1.6)

2. take all mounts off both engine including cross members

3. get engine mount (right hand side) and bolt it to the original bracket (the holes going though the mount will need opening up to match up)

4. take the crossmember from the 1.6. The rear bolts match up with a bit of force and the front needs re-bolting as well as being cut 8 inches shorter

5. take the water pump pulley off (4 bolts)

6. once you have done that, its time to get the engine in

7. put bolts though engine and crossmember mounts

8. now that the engine is in place, mark up were the water pump pully fouls on the chassis, the gear box mount can be marked up at the same time

8.5 the gearbox mount i used the micra (re-drilled) but you could use a custom one

9. now the hard bit "cutting the chassis" for this i grinded two slices in the chassis leg (downwards) then bent the metal in with a hammer and chisel then got
two 6mm steel plates and fitted them between the gaps (so the plates go right in to the chassis) then welded them in

10. now that you have the clearance for the pulley it can be re fixed and belts put back (as i used a engine that had power steering a new tensioner had to be made)

11. the engine can now go in again and all mounts can be bolted up

12. as for the rad i used a civic type-r witch fitted nicely between the two fount cross members but you can use whatever you want

13. the gear linkages need to be shortened

14. drive shafts need to be shortened but im in the prosses of doing these but will go in to more detail when done

15. the dizzy wires will need extending if your using the micra loom as well as the alltanator needs new terminals, other than that it all plugs straight in

16. you need to fit the 1.6 ecu as well

cant think of any thing else at the moment
will add pic soon
if any 1.6/2.0 owners want to add anything feel free

cheers for that question about the ecu.....what year or nats system has the micra and what year doner is it both pre nats nats 1 or nats 2

^^ is a good start, but what is really needed to make more people want to do it is a step-by-step guide, with clear pictures of how someone has done it, then if some-one else has done it a different way, then a discourse can arise - the more info out there the better, search for zetec into XR2 and zetec turbo, there are many guides out there on how to do it, but I suppose that some people don't want to shr their hard work.

Speak to Ed about converting a nats car to non nats by changing the ECU. You could probably pay him to change it over. It's not just plug and play, but it's been done successfully on Ollie's car

thats the thing about guides you get to know what works what dont, I could play it very safe and just do a 1.3 but thats not what i want and members coming here looking for answers will stay a lot longer if the know how is shared for all to add to or use as the case may be. Tonight for instance my mates breakers yard got a 1.6 almera in on a v plate now i could go and buy each individual item I need and the price would be double that of just buying a doner car, and there lies the million dollor question how many doner cars do,es it take to make a 1.6 or 2lt micra. as allready noted if there were a guid more people would rather attempt this conversion as opposed to a simple 1.3 I can do the work not a problem would I help others do the same work I have allready but sometimes you need to be shown the way. Until I know for certain that a nats system micra can be converted without the use of ultra high priced ecu units then its a none starter and this view would be shared im sure by other micra owners so there must be a plug and play is the answer a doner car from around the same year?.....getting better this guide allready

Some interesting posts in this thread..

I think Japseye is making, arkwardly, a very good point..

If you need some info Japseye, then Im more than welcoome to help you out..

Ive been involved with a 1.6 Conversion..

Ive done the 1.0 to 1.3 conversion Several Times.. Turboed a 1.3.. and im in the Process of Two 2.0 conversions...

It would be Awesome if there was a Step by Step guide for a 1.6/2.0 transplant..

However there a few problems with this..

It would be down to a single person as to how this guide was depicted..

.. Other people would claim that this or that is wrong.. irrelivant of how much they do or do not know..

Read my Blog Fromt start to finish.. there are MANY posts by people slagging off my work and the conversion.. Most of it from people who are now banned and dont know there arse From their elbow with regards to cars..

Ive gone to great depths to document my whole conversion. Ive got a picture for pretty much everything.. Most of it I havn't shown.

.. So the point im trying to make mate...

I would make a pretty simple step by step if it wasn't torn apart by others..

This both CONFUSES people reading the Blog.. and makes the actual work look substandard and/or ill advised..

HOWEVER!!!!>..

I will say this..

If you have a complete 1.3 micra...... and a complete Donor car..( 1.6 Primera )

Surely you have everything needed for a conversion..?????

With just welding + Rewireing needed..?

This is correct and its much cheaper to do the conversion than people are making out..

I would say the two ^ABOVE^ ingredients + 200 Quid would do the job if you knew what you were doing, have to tools and some help..

The expense Comes with all the extras that you want.. ( uprated brakes, alloys, exhaust, suspension, bodykits etc etc.. )

..and with the ###### ups..

If its just replacing the engine with a 1.6 or 2.0?....

Then 200 + Donor car, would easy would cover it..

thanx for info but wait a little story....To start with im 46 next week now then I have worked 2nd generation now and my son will be 3rd generation as he is a apprentice motor mechanic. back to me...I worked along side my father repairing cars day in and day out in the day there was no nats systems and no such thing as a ecu unit if you wanted more power you simply used a bigger engine. I served my time building mk 1 escort mexicos I even was lucky enough to own 4 of them my self including a mk 1 lotus cortina such was life back then. in fact i still have a insurance document from 1980 for a mk 1 escort mex and it was £112.00 for the year fully comp wow. Back to present day and after 10 yrs I pick up the batton again I was good in the day but there was as ive said no ecu and no nats the rest is chicken feed for me anyway but I would still like to see a guid rightly or wrongly written. now I know nowt about ecu units and what i know about nats i could write on the back of a postage stamp. But im not to old to learn and I can also pass on a few skills long forgoten by todays high tech way of life. I have a crappy powered 998cc micra looks great but lets its self down way down it needs at least the running power of a 1.6 electrics i can do but you cant do it blind and I have learnt over the years that if a job is worth doing then its worth doing right not the suck it and see method. I thank you for your time and understanding in reading this and yes sometimes i have problems explaining myself but when you forget more than you know.......get some guides made for us old farts who know naf all about ecu,s and nats to follow old dogs can learn new tricks....................ask brooney

Yes mate..

Then and now..

Carbs and Electronically controlled multipoint injection are very different..!

I think if you start it mate you wont have as many problems as you would imagine..

How long can the car be off the road for?

car can be off the roads as long as it takes if it takes a month then it takes a month im in no hurry..plus i have another micra + my works van so i wont be stuck.and while the engine and box is out I will respray the engine bay as well to make that all shiney and new.....

Sounds like Kristian is your man Japseye.

Kev, can't you let Kristian provide a guide, and then lock it so no-one can slag it off. If they have a real problem and seriously know 100% that part of it is not right etc, then they can get in contact with you and it can be changed slightly, or more little bits can be added. It could be a sticky so everyone can see, but with no silly/unneccesary comments in :D

This should go for other guides too.

We could easily remove the non constructive posts, as sometimes people might respond asking for clarificaton on certain points, as we've seen on a couple of guides. As long as people report posts, it will receive moderator attention.

Looking better all the time....looks like my micra is staying home so engine and box upgrade is on the cards just looked on ebay and its well below the reserve so I think end of november i will take it off the roads that gives me loads of time to sorce a written off primera or almera from the same year give or take a few...............gearbox question on my micra speedo is cable driven with the later type boxes i think i read they are electronic is the fitting still in place on the later type boxes or do i have to sorce pre 2000 stuff

We could easily remove the non constructive posts, as sometimes people might respond asking for clarificaton on certain points, as we've seen on a couple of guides. As long as people report posts, it will receive moderator attention.

Yeah i know, but usually, by the time the mods get to it, it has escilated (sp) into a major argument, and so people lose interest! I think if it can be avoided in the first place it's better!

Yes that can be done no probs.

Kev

Cheers Kev. I can see some nice sticky's being made in the near future. We could even separate them into sections if we get enough. Like diff size engine guides for the k10 and k11. I don't think the k12 will need one tho!!

Looking better all the time....looks like my micra is staying home so engine and box upgrade is on the cards just looked on ebay and its well below the reserve so I think end of november i will take it off the roads that gives me loads of time to sorce a written off primera or almera from the same year give or take a few...............gearbox question on my micra speedo is cable driven with the later type boxes i think i read they are electronic is the fitting still in place on the later type boxes or do i have to sorce pre 2000 stuff

Tell your son to keep his hands off when it's complete!!! lol :D

its staying home guys reserve not met £770 highest bid ha ha ha I would put a match to it rather than sell it for that amount on money...........1.6 upgrade now in motion looking to purchase almera or primera have been offered a low mileage nissan sunny 1.6 H reg 46k on clock auto box though would this fit the micra layout awaiting pictures from vendor

An H reg Sunny may be GA16DS meaning carbed and not injected, i'd check with the guy before commiting to that one. 46k is VERY low mileage though!

yep waiting for photos to see what it is for what its worth if its no good for what i want i will list details of where it can be bought there is no tax and test but its only 50 quid to buy anyhow

not going to i was going to ditch the auto box plus they still aint sent engine bay pics yet so the hunts still on for a doner

question for those that know regarding an upgrade...............my car is a 998cc model now then is the 1.3 engined micras any sturdier do i have to seam weld the engine bay do i need any reinforcements to any part of chassis or crossmembers...........I know the engine mounts and is it the gearbox mounts need changing but any other welding i should know of as i dont want it to fold lol

Back