battery warning light comes on and car will not rev

Hi my son has a k12 micra 2003 1.2, we have noticed that the car when warmed up will when at traffic lights or slowing down the battery warning light comes on and the engine just ticks over and will not rev then just dies no other light comes on it also happens if coming off a motorway you take your foot off and the engine just idles and will not rev the battery light comes on then stalls. has any one else had this problem thanks. i have had a diagonostic done on it and it comes up with timing chain otherwise car runs fine

Hi Frank thanks for your reply i presume its limp mode it goes into the only warning light that lights up is the battery warning light, the chain does sound a bit noisey, i may check if the amps and voltage come out of the alternater is right as well

the battery light is probably just coming on because the idle drops too low ian, and the k12 chains rarely rattle (its a sensor sync issue, caused by the slightly slack chain)

Thanks for the info Frank, looks like the car will be scrapped not worth repairing

Timing chain stretch diagnosis K-12 Before Scrapping

Measure the extension of the chain tensioner, about a 1 hr job for a competent DIY person!

Insure hydraulic chain tensioner is operating, sufficient clean engine oil/pressure.

Notorious K 12 Micra cam chain stretch normally flags E M L check engine light on and corresponding DTC codes, such as P0340/P0011. None of which you have referred to, only alternator battery charging warning light due to low idle speed?

In diagnosing chain stretch what DTCs did your garage find?

Quote; “I have had a diagnostic done on it and it comes up with timing chain” I think it will flag up an EML out of sync sensor fault before the drivability issues that you describe.

May I suggest further DIY research cam/crank sensor sync and drivability issue symptoms?

One member on the MSC obtained an extra two years of useful life with overstretched chain by moving the sensors or the pegs/flags by a few degrees.

References;

https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/micra-1-2-dtc-codes-p0340-p0011.41471/

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic31072.aspx

Last edited:
thanks for your reply i changed the engine temp switch because i noticed the fan was not kicking in it now kicks in and hes had no problems but time will tell

Good thinking outside the box, nothing to lose;~ way to go!
Cheap, chirpy chirpy cheap cheap chirp, my kind of repair at marginal cost ;)

Last edited:
Hi all,

Sorry to bring up a new issue in an 'old' thread, however, this exact issue is happening on my girlfriends K12. No warning lights, no diagnostics. It's been to garages, RAC etc, nothing, no one can tell anything causing the issue.

Has anyone got any ideas on what would be causing this issue? Could it be the same as Ian and the fan not kicking in? (I have not had the chance to take the car out myself and see the issue, or know if it is the fan unfortunatly...)

does it go into limb mode when you have been stuck in traffic along time or when you come off the motorway if so it sounds like your fan is not kicking in take your car for a run on the motorway for over 6 miles then leave it ticking over the fan should then kick in hope this helps

Back