2nd day of owning a 2003 micra, and Malfunction light on.

Hello all, I've just put all my little savings into buying a nissan micra 2003 5 door S. cost 2700.
I bought it from a small dealer, who has given me 3 months warranty. When I bought it it was showing the malfunction light on, but he said its because the battery went dead, it just needs to be reprogrammed?!?

Im a new driver, so new to cars etc... so trusted his word. whether that is right or not I still don't no.

When I picked up the car, the malfunction light was not on, and it drove very smoothly without any engine noise, or rattling.

2 days later, I tried starting the car to get to work, and it wouldnt start until the 3rd try. each time the battery light would come on, as well as the engine/malfunction light. I managed to start it and it drove well after warming up.

Before it gets warmed up, the car sort of thudders, just for a few minutes until its warm, sounds like a heart beat. very quiet though.
is this usual?

The rev counter on idle also wiggles. But no sounds from the engine, actually I dont hear it when I stop for traffic lights, I sometimes think Ive stalled because its so quiet. Cars Ive usually sat in, I hear the engine all the time.

I've taken it back to the dealer who said they will fix the problem, Ive phoned them a few times today and they said its something to do with the sensors. But which sensor I dont no until tomorrow.
I've read all the horror stories once the malfunction light comes on, Im worried it may be the timing chain? or will lead to that once the sensors are changed...

Anyone have any advice?
Ive told the dealer, that if the malfunction light comes back on again, I will request a refund.

the car has full service history, no accidents, only done 44k

I have a 3 year old who will be in the car with me, Im worried for safety most. Not to mention, after the month warranty, I will not be able to afford 1000 plus to get a new time chain. Insurance is already a killer for me being a new driver...:down:

OP
OP
A
update.

Today the dealers garage has told me its the camshaft sensor...:suspect: I've heard this would come up if it was a timing chain fault also...

I have to travel 30 miles to get to this dealer, just to take the car back again when a new fault turns up. Do anyone recommend taking the micra to a local garage to ask if timing chain needs replacing..
Sort of get a second opinion, because Im not trusting the car dealership... having sold me a faulty car.

Love the car, just doesnt seem worth it, with so many likely problems.

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
It is a difficult one - personally I would give the original garage a chance to put things right, if you are unsure of this garage can you be sure of your local garage? Good luck what ever you decide.

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
had the same problem with mine did the canshaft sensor as thats what the fault code indicated car still runs crap so for me the timing chain needs done, as for a £1000 forget that you can buy the kit for £220 and someone from here would fit it for a reasonable fee, depending where your located, I would say that 400 to 600 quid all in is a fair price boardering towards the top end maybe.

OP
OP
A
Its the timing chain.

Thanks for your replys,

I had a phone call from the dealer today, to say they tried new sensors but the car was exactly the same, so its the timing chain.

But thats what I was suspecting it to be anyway, from reading the reviews online.

The dealer has put it into their garage, and have ordered a new timing kit, they will replace it and let me no when the car is ready.

Im glad the car is still under its 3 month warranty, I wont be liable to pay now! :grinning:
Its down to the dealer to pay.

Can anyone tell me how long there timing chain lasted once they replaced it?
or if the car drove well, with no problems?

or do you think I will have more problems to come?

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
I think if im not mistaken the timing chains that nissan fitted were of an inferia quality and thats where all the problems arise. There is no way of knowing how long the repair will last as it would be dependent on the kit fitted: IE cheap and nasty kit equals timing chain problems again later on, maybe if frank reads this post he can give some pointers as to what kit is good and what is not. For example this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa8381782

frank

Club Member
I think if im not mistaken the timing chains that nissan fitted were of an inferia quality , maybe if frank reads this post he can give some pointers as to what kit is good and what is not. For example this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa8381782

thats my understanding too ken, and going by my large collection of CG chains and sprockets :wasntme: the sprockets dont show any sign of wear, so i would personally fit a genuine chain "only" (and refit the tensioners and sprockets)

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
there are a few chains on ebay supposed to be genuine at £74 go to euro car parts web site and there £174 I havent been able to find any others as yet but will keep looking

OP
OP
A
Well, seeing as its the dealers garage that will be doing the chain replacment, they will be the ones to order the new part.
I just hope they order a decent one, and not a cheapy one. I think I should be a bit nosey and ask about it... so far they have been very complient.

Would the timing chains from ebay or other auto companies be as bad as nissans? are they not made from the same material? how are they of better quality? Just interested to no more.

Thank you.