Battery relocation

I'm thinking of moving the battery to the boot so I can scrub the engine bay a bit and make it look a bit cleaner and make more room if I decided to do a engine or turbo conversion can anyone help me with what I would need to buy or need to do in order for it to work thanks :)

I've relocated the battery in my SX. Its not too hard and you can get all you need from a breakers yard.

Most if not all fairly recent 3/5 series BMW's (some jags too) have boot mounted batteries, simply relieve one of its battery box/mount and the positive cable run through the interior to the terminal block in the engine bay and earth lead to rear.

Its a good idea to put in an inline fuse/circuit breaker close to the relocated battery too, to guard against the risk of short circuits/fire. I got one from vehicle wiring products.

Provided you get a good earthing point and use grommets through any holes drilled its not too hard.

I fitted a small racing gel battery under the passenger seat

dsc03596-jpg.33791

https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-16#post-439222

It's real easy as said before, I used some thick gauge welding cable off ebay for like £4 and it's more than capable. There's plenty of holes through the bulkhead for your cable to go, and lots of good earth points to use. Make sure your battery is well constrained tho, if it's in the car with you, you don't want it moving about, especially in a crash!!
battery1.jpg
battery2.jpg

That looks perfect exactly were i want mine to go :) also I love the cage is that custom made or did you buy one specifically for your car

I really want a full cage but they seem so hard to find its only for a road car but I love the look and it's extra safety

Your rear doors will become useless with a full cage, I've only spent 10 mins looking and cheapest full bolt in cage I've found is £500 +vat

Well the rear seats are been pulled out anyway so I'm not that fussed about the rear doors and the handles are been deleted and 500 doesn't sound to bad the ones I was looking at were nearly double that

I went with a show cage for the pickup, but I will be losing the brackets and welding all together.

Plus I can add a front section and door bars if I want to go full Monty.

6b9a02ee712eb09770df1cb37ca6eac2.jpg

Chris.

Back