bassbox in tyre well?

Type-R

Ex. Club Member
Anyone done this to a micra?

I have stripped the whole back end out but i miss my bass, i have a 15" kicker lying around and an amp to power it, my HU is more than capable of powering and controlling everything.

I was thinking of fibre glassing the bootwell with a few thick layers, and then building an enclosure around that and placing a sub there, but having a look at the tyre well there is not much depth to it.

Also to anyone who has done it, what does it sound like to have a sub facing in that direction in that position? I have always had my subs in the conventional position in the boot, i have never tried facing a sub sideways or any other direction...

Yep, I did it both to the micra and corolla.

As long as you sound proof the spare wheel recess good enough and make a false floor over the top that is sealed with silicone, you can get good results. You can port the enclosure to increase the db and the recess should be large enough, although I'm not sure on a 15".... I did it with a 10,12" subs.

You could raise the floor up to increase the cubic capacity of the sub enclosure, just make sure you seal everything and there is no gaps.

It's also a good way of saving weight when compared to making a sub box

the sub i will be using is the KICKER-CVR152. Do you reckon i can turn this upside down and use the car as an enclosure? would this work with a total of 500w rms?

Im not to hot on free air ice install, never done one before, but interested in finding out how they work.

That'll be fine, do just as you mentioned with fibreglass. You havent really got enough space for a decent ported box (and it's difficult to tune correctly) so don't worry about that.

You can invert the sub, that's perfectly fine. It wont use the car as the enclosure, it just plays into the wheel well. You'll still get the same bass output :). Just remember to swap the phase on the subwoofer to suit the invert!

It's not free air if its still playing into a sealed box in the wheel well, so don't worry about that.

You can invert the sub, that's perfectly fine. It wont use the car as the enclosure, it just plays into the wheel well. You'll still get the same bass output . Just remember to swap the phase on the subwoofer to suit the invert!

It's not free air if its still playing into a sealed box in the wheel well, so don't worry about that.

If i slam the sub in there magnet side down into the well then this would be like just a normal box and i totally understand but why do i have to phase it for?

I think you mean that if i use the sub with the magent facing up towards the roof then i need to phase the sub right?

You wont, I meant you need to swap the phase if you invert the sub. i.e. have it upside down in the well with magnet arse out.

Yep you are correct :)

Back