basic help and advice wanted.

hi all. i may sound silly but i want some basic help on what i will need 2 buy in order 2 have a workin sub in my boot. i am a complete novice so any advice gratefully received!

Only advice i can give is dont ask halfords for advice. :grinning: Chap insisted i needed an amp to power my 50w 6x9s when i had a perfectly capable sony headunit. This was a good few years ago though

Only advice i can give is dont ask halfords for advice. :grinning: Chap insisted i needed an amp to power my 50w 6x9s when i had a perfectly capable sony headunit. This was a good few years ago though

He was probably right! Head unit's only do about 15w RMS, whereas you've just stated yours are 50w. I've got my 6x9's amped.

lmow01 - Do you have RCA sockets on the back of your head unit? the red and white terminals?

Sorry if i sound nooby but headunit would be the cd player thing right?? If so I'm not sure at the moment will look when I'm at home and post later.

Dont know much about wattage or being grammatically correct but the headunit is 200W max on the box (or 4x50w max), my sony 6x9s are 50W each in lamens terms for bozos like me it can handle 4x50W 6x9 speakers without a problem so i didnt need an amp cos im not a chav :grinning:

Dont know much about wattage or being grammatically correct but the headunit is 200W max on the box (or 4x50w max), my sony 6x9s are 50W each in lamens terms for bozos like me it can handle 4x50W 6x9 speakers without a problem so i didnt need an amp cos im not a chav :grinning:

Problem comes when "enthusiastic" manufacturers quote "max" as the figure it can achieve for a vanishingly small amount of time/

That's definitly peak figures for the head unit! and adding an amp is sensible, not chavvy! Better sound, no risk to the head unit or speakers

Looking at the back of that head unit, you don't have any RCA's. This will make it a harder to connect up an amp, as the amp will have RCA inputs. You probably have the necessary wiring in that block of colourful wires there, to run a standard set of fronts and rears, but no sub.

You might be able to get round it, but if i was in your shoes, i'd change the head unit. Others might disagree tho!

Ok sorry forget my rant about Halfords, i just cant stand the one where i live :)

I guess i meant the speakers start to distort before any signs of the headunit struggling (e.g. the display dimming etc.) rendering the internal amp more than capable of powering them. And the sound is great cos its a good headunit in the first place.

I can't think a 250W RMS sub would hit 800W for anything other than a fraction of a second. I admit audio electronics is not my thing though, this is from an electronics degree first year.

Ok sorry forget my rant about Halfords, i just cant stand the one where i live :)

I guess i meant the speakers start to distort before any signs of the headunit struggling (e.g. the display dimming etc.) rendering the internal amp more than capable of powering them. And the sound is great cos its a good headunit in the first place.

You've got it the wrong way round I'm afraid.

The speakers distort as they don't have 'enough' clean power from the headunit. They need more juice, not less!

Back