Ballast resister problem

My K10 1992 would not start the other morning. I tested for a spark and found that there was one albeit a bit weak. I started changing the usual stuff, ignition leads, dizzy cap etc - none of that helped.

Then I decided to replace what I thought was the condenser next to the coil. Turns out its actually a ballast resistor. At the local spares shop, the only sort they had looked totally different with different connections. The guy at the shop said it would work fine with a bit of modification. So with some bits of wire and a crimper I got it connected and the car started straight away.

Only thing is, the resistor glows in the dark. Does anyone know why this is or where I could get the correct part?

The condenser you were supplied with will do a similar thing at startup (drops the voltage) but a ballast resistor is made to handle the voltage after startup, the condenser (capacitor) isn't!

When I worked at Nissan I fitted a condenser from a Mini distributor to get a Micra breakdown going, to get it back to the workshop.

You are best to try and source the right part as the coil will eventually burn out and cost you more money! :(

Back