Autograss Class 2 micra step by step

Craig said:
As far as i was aware, perspex front screen was fine, where you gert your info from?

2 lads i know are buying full sets for there pulsars. they were told the front screen had to be glass.

im guessing that if you reach a cretain speed perspex could flex meaning its easier for it to pop out the rubbers? deeming it dangerous?!

Hi Bob as a virgin grasser I am very interested in your project.
I am building my first grass car also a K10.
Would you tell me what kind of inlet manifold you are going to use.
Mine has a standard micra inlet with an extension pipe and a big S U on the end.
I bought the engine complete with this set up and have no idea how it will perform...
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mick said:
Hi Bob as a virgin grasser I am very interested in your project.
I am building my first grass car also a K10.
Would you tell me what kind of inlet manifold you are going to use.
Mine has a standard micra inlet with an extension pipe and a big S U on the end.
I bought the engine complete with this set up and have no idea how it will perform...
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

hi mick which club are you with as for inlet i made it from using half an mk 2 cavalier 1.3

Hi Bob I have just joined Invicta Kent.
I guess you mean the inlet half ?
I have never seen the sort of inlet manifolds used on grass cars.
I was always told the shorter the inlet track the better,
but I will go with the flow, there are far more cleaver people out there
than me.

bob, are u planning on adding a limited slip differential? i've seen pictures of autograss and they nearly always have a drive wheel off the ground, it'd give u a nice edge if u had a limited slip diff.

if im not mistaken i belive bob has one fitted to his gearbox's. i seem to remeber him saying about it before :)

I have seen it on drag cars, BTCC cars (think they have to be road legal) and I also on rally cars - which do have to have MOT - so not too sure on that myself, perspex windows are usually bonded or riveted in, so can't really see it coming unstuck myself, although the flexibility could be a worry.

Speedle said:
if im not mistaken i belive bob has one fitted to his gearbox's. i seem to remeber him saying about it before :)

We have to use standard diff's ,no weld ups or slippers(lsd) aloud in this class,
class 1 and 2 are the only classes which have to run standard diff's,but we can change and swop around boxes from other k10 micra's only.
All the other classes the gearboxes are free thats if you use one that is

anyway the car has gone away again up to leeds to have a one off full race exhaust system fitted by tony laws.
I will post some more pics when its back on saturday hopefully

lol, it'l be nice to see a real racing exhaust, nowadys that term tends to mean "chav exhaust" my scinece teacher memorably described them as sounding like "a fart in a barrel" but those ones wouldn't last 5 seconds in auograss, i'm surprised the cars have any underside left! I want a go but,it's getting a car to race.

SteelySniper said:
lol, it'l be nice to see a real racing exhaust, nowadys that term tends to mean "chav exhaust" my scinece teacher memorably described them as sounding like "a fart in a barrel" but those ones wouldn't last 5 seconds in auograss, i'm surprised the cars have any underside left! I want a go but,it's getting a car to race.

i no what you mean "chav fart in a barrel exhaust" it wont be just an chrome tail peace that you can stick your head in which doesn't make a bit of difference whatso ever to the performance....lol

exactly, it'll be good to see the real thing, i'm a fan of proper performance mods, even if i never do any.

haha thats quite nuts. Any reason for it going through there rather than out of the back?

paul,paddy and rik all hit the nail on the head by there own gasses. does'nt get dashed about at the back and ripped off from underneath when i go over the inside track marking tyre's

paul_k10_Lx said:
how much was it?
£440 from tony laws of leeds,
paul not cheap but you only get what you pay for nowdays if you wont a system that right for your car you have to pay

one of my mates had his nova on the rollers with a full peco 4/2 1 system and that same day he swopped it over for one of tony's system and gained a extra 6bhp.
all these after market 4 branch systems ie peco,janspeed,ashley,are all to large abore for the engine's there for so he sez

That's the stuff, and ur right black is much faster than chrome, simply in the fact chrome exhausts tend to be added just for looks and therefore don't increase BHP any

bobsp16 said:
£440 from tony laws of leeds,
paul not cheap but you only get what you pay for nowdays if you wont a system that right for your car you have to pay

one of my mates had his nova on the rollers with a full peco 4/2 1 system and that same day he swopped it over for one of tony's system and gained a extra 6bhp.
all these after market 4 branch systems ie peco,janspeed,ashley,are all to large abore for the engine's there for so he sez

thats not that bad local tuning shop charges 500 for a full system so that is cheaper

paul_k10_Lx said:
thats not that bad local tuning shop charges 500 for a full system so that is cheaper
is that a price for stainless though this is only mild steel,if mine was stainless it would be twice that.
when i was there they were doing a full stainless 4"system on a big twin turbo supra and i sore the bill on this desk and it was just over £2300

tbh i think £440 is a bargain esp for the manifold. i guess that wouldn't be road legal, being that part of the system is in the car

Autograss class 2 now ready for racing

she is all done now ready to take out and try this sunday.had her all set up on the rollers last week 86bhp@ wheels and the engine's not loosened up yet so could see another 2/3bhp when run in so the man with the rollers sead.
19-Picture%20390.jpg

25-Picture%20392.jpg

1-Picture%20388.jpg

11-Picture%20393.jpg

Nice work! I see you have changed your manifold design again :) Soon youll have tried everything and will know exactly what will or wont work the best haha :)

Ed said:
Nice work! I see you have changed your manifold design again :) Soon youll have tried everything and will know exactly what will or wont work the best haha :)

you dont no until u try ed but with this one ive done the power come in better and last longer.
it starts pulling from low down about 3200 then its at 80bhp at 5000rpm,86 peak 5600,and still up there until 6500 them only drops off to 80 over 6600,which was alot better than before were it peaked at 5600rpm at 85 but by the time it hit 6000 it went down to around 70 and dropping,so this give me a good 1600rpm at top end power,

1st outing out with the car and it was crap,to soft on the front end and had a missfire around 4000 rpm,been playing about with it for most of this week so hopefully sorted out now
12-eaaa.jpg

bit of development mate, these things were sent to test us!

Nice pic, and hope the development goes well :grinning:

Nice project! Looks crackin'! lol
Well done on the race! That 2nd place was a deserved result! (even though you deserved 1st) The MSC sticker should give you atleast 5hp more though!
Expect to win next time! :p

-Jamie

Back