Autograss Class 2 micra step by step

bobsp16

Site Supporter
Ive have just started to build my new racecar for 06 season i will post picture's of progress step by step if anyone's interested in following the stages.
28-Picture%20323.jpg
30-Picture%20324.jpg
21-Picture%20322.jpg
2-Picture%20325.jpg

season starts around march
suspension is kyb gas front shocks with avo springs and on rear is gaz coilovers..
as you can see everything is stripted out,petrol tank all wireing even down to the brake pipes there gone and also under the body its been shot blasted to get rid of all the under seal.
Its so lite at this stage i rolled it onto its side by my self.
now its off to have its rollcage and seat fitted be about fortnight

mark it was a L reg which was just to good to scrap it still had 7 month mot on it.but yes i normally use 3door..

Speedle said:
man with that little on the car would fly :D keep it coming bob its interesting to see :)
with its gross weight cut down by at nearly half and its bhp up to about 85/90bhp ish it would be nice to work out the power to weight ratio compared to a standard road going k10
can sombody work that out must be good
I remember racing my mate down a farm track with last year race car against a standard 1.2 k10,from a standing start by the time i was in 3rd gear i was already about five car lenght in front.

You want to sneak in a ST engine.. somehow I fell you may be noticed however....

bobsp16 said:
with its gross weight cut down by at nearly half and its bhp up to about 85/90bhp ish it would be nice to work out the power to weight ratio compared to a standard road going k10
can sombody work that out must be good
I remember racing my mate down a farm track with last year race car against a standard 1.2 k10,from a standing start by the time i was in 3rd gear i was already about five car lenght in front.

As standard a 1.2 K10 would be about 750kg and supposedly has 60bhp, thats 80bhp per ton.
If you get your racer down to say 500kg and managed to squeeze 90bhp from the engine, thats 180bhp per ton.
Hmmm, about the same as a Honda S2000!

crogthomas said:
As standard a 1.2 K10 would be about 750kg and supposedly has 60bhp, thats 80bhp per ton.
If you get your racer down to say 500kg and managed to squeeze 90bhp from the engine, thats 180bhp per ton.

thats not to bad then

RIK said:
didnt see marks post! thought it would be a lil bit heavier but obv not

ive allways used a 3 door in the past probly cos they have digger doors make's it easyer to get in and out of cus we have to weld them up but with the 4 doors ive notice's its a hell of alot easyer to work on and in .but could be a pain to get in and out when finished but shouldn't be to bad cus iam only a short ass,,,lol

building an Autograss class 2 micra step by step

sealed up all holes in bulkhead to create a firewall and fitted the petrol tank tonight.
24-Picture%20331.jpg
exif.php

crogthomas said:

Thats nearly the same as an Evo... But there is NO WAY on earth it would be anywhere near as quick. You have 90bhp.... I reckon its probably more like 60-70bhp for a start. 500kg is very light though.

Soon as you set off aerodynamics play a part. I doubt that would see over 100mph. With a screen. Without you haven't got much chance at all.
Even at 60mph the wind resistance will be a lot.
It will be quick in first gear... pretty quick in second. Be dead by 4th though.

Thats nearly the same as an Evo... But there is NO WAY on earth it would be anywhere near as quick. You have 90bhp.... I reckon its probably more like 60-70bhp for a start. 500kg is very light though.

Soon as you set off aerodynamics play a part. I doubt that would see over 100mph. With a screen. Without you haven't got much chance at all.
Even at 60mph the wind resistance will be a lot.
It will be quick in first gear... pretty quick in second. Be dead by 4th though.

it is a autograss race car which will probably only see 1st and 2nd gear whilst racing so dont know why your going on about top speed because that is completely irrelevent.

and if you knew anything and bob and his autograss race car's 60 - 70bhp is definantly not what it will be running at. 90bhp is much more like it.

and why would someone use a standard engine in a race car M1CR4 because 60bhp is the standard figure for a MA12?

Bob runs one of the fastest autograss K10's and you think its gonna be 60 - 70bhp? lol

be good to actually get a actuall weight figure out of it when its finished, i find it hard to belive that it will loose half the weight of the car, that would take it down to 375kg which is like caterham terratory, i would say a loss of 150kg might be feasible, in the micra theres not a lot of heavy stuff to chuck out,apart from glass etc.

in a 200sx they weigh around 1250 kg give or take a few kg and the most you can them down to is 1000, that car is full of heavy unnecessary stuff, the micra on the otherhand isnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crogthomas

thats not to bad then

jesus! according to the haynes manual howver the car is 620-640kg stock ;)

weight

The Haynes manual will most likely quote the manufacturers 'dry' weight, which wont include oil, water or fuel (about 40kg total I would guess) plus will be for the lightest, most basic model in the range.
Once you have added the weight of the fluids and optional extras such as the 2nd wing mirror, sunroof, fluffy dice and leopard skin seat covers, I suspect you will see closer to 750kg.

The seats, carpet and other plastics must have some weight reduction when removed, not just windows etc! You'l have proper racing seats fitted which i guess are lighter than your standard K10 one too. Every little helps

crogthomas said:
The Haynes manual will most likely quote the manufacturers 'dry' weight, which wont include oil, water or fuel (about 40kg total I would guess) plus will be for the lightest, most basic model in the range.
Once you have added the weight of the fluids and optional extras such as the 2nd wing mirror, sunroof, fluffy dice and leopard skin seat covers, I suspect you will see closer to 750kg.

i agree completely crog im sure no 2 k10's weigh the same anyway :) mine would weigh more than stock as it has lots of extra bolt on bits, a few less in the engine bay now though :)

theres not much heavy stuff to loose in a micra the rear seats and all the trim would prob only come to around 20kg, tar off the floor would come to another 10kg plus unwanted wires etc., perspec windows would be the most benificial, the side windows (rear) wouldnt be hard to do at all, worth a thought, all we need to know is where to buy the perspex - B&Q?

perspex hatch glass, and all side windows will be ok, i cant see it being a problem for a mot

1st thing 1st iam not even going to bother to reply to M1CR4!!fwn mark has put that right cheers mate.
1st and 2nd gear is all we use and which we have been clocked at 62mph on the largest tracks (2nd gear)
now have you ever tried to take a hole door off in one peace they are really heavy about a stone each we only use the skin.the boot lid ways about the same that also gets skinned,all seat belts and fixings there not lite even hand brake and its housing and cables,
you all no how heavy the front seats are the hole dash with heater matrix you can just about manage that on your own
So dont even try to tell me there not alot of weight will be lost i no that one of our cars was weighed which was 398kg and that wasn't shot blasted

to the average joe though who takes out rear seats and door cards and other bits and bobs there isnt a lot of weight to be lost but when you start skinning panels and removing windows and whatnot you would see a fair bit of weight lost. not a lot of peeps on here would go to your extreme for a road going car and id have a guestamate that it would be hard for someone to break - 500kg if they were to keep the micra road legal, i would have though loosing 100kg would be quite a mission and perspex windows and a angle grinder would be involved, a angle grinder to remove excess brakets for mounting points for rear seats etc., i myself would like part of the dash remaning at least, even if i cut the stereo bit off and get it out and get most of the bracketry out etc.

you have got to bear in mind a nissan micra k10 is a very basic car when considering it to a nissan bluebird t72 when on this car you can loose 30kg by taking out the seats and carpet or even a nissan micra k11 is a heavy cow compared to the k10 and would be easier to shed kg's, the bhp per tonne figure for the k10 1.2 is more than a k11 1.3 and its funny about the appreance, if you compared the two of them and i droped a grand piano on the both of them people not in the know would think the k11 would be smashed to bits and the k10 would be there with a few scratches that t-cut would get out

have you weighed all the tar off the floor bob, i bet that weighs quite a fair bit, nissan love to use tar on the floor, i got two carrer bags out of my b12 sunny coupe when i striped that.

what kind of cage do you use are they easy to make?

paddymarsden said:
Very nice dude, seat dont look that comfy but i assume you will be padding it out, amazing welding
them type of seats paddy are very comfy its a kirkey nascar one which has a vinyl and form padding cover ,but i didn't wont to get paint on and also ive been welding above it..

Speedle said:
are perspex windows street legal? im pretty sure a perpex windscreen is'nt the side windows might be ok though

perspex rear hatch, and side windows are street legal, windscreen must stay glass. i know 2 chaps who are getting a set :D

As far as i was aware, perspex front screen was fine, where you gert your info from?

Back