autobox removal

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
Hi

i am removing the autobox from the ST, (posted here because i believe the process might be similar)

i have been reading the haynes bible and it says i need to 'mark the relationship of the torque converter with paint' although it totally fails to meotion where it is or how to get to it.

Also 'unscrew the torque converter to driveplate connecting bolts, the crankshaft will have to be turned to bring each bolt into view' Doesnt say where the bolts ace accessed from??

so at the moment in a bit confused, can anyone help?

Cheers

Steve:question:

are you replacing it with another auto box or a manual? Also for the effort of another mount, a couple of pipes and wires, you might as well as take the whole lot out. Makes it alot easier to work on.

im keeping the same box in but i wasnt planning on taking it out as there are a lot of cables, and wires and also vac / boost pipes in the way, also i imagine it is very heavy and i didnt want to mess about with the drivehafts on the ST, i just wanted to take the now bare (bar crank) block off leaving the heavy box in? the manual just doesnt tell you how to get to the torque converter so even if i did take the whole lump out i think i would still be none the wiser? its just really confusing as i havent really ever had a automatic before and it looks really complicated (just geting my head round rebuilding the engine was bad for me)

Worst comes to the worst i will take the whole lot out like you said :D

Thanks

Steve

Ive made a few calls and i might have to get at them through the hole for the starter motor, if this rings any bells or makes any sense to anyone?

Cheers

Steve

i think there is Frank but i could not see how to remove it when i was taking the pistons out, will have another look tomorrow ;)

P.S. Starter motor hole, no joy, looks like the heads of the bolts are facing the engine so the hole underneath makes sense :)

Cheers

Steve

Ok i still dont know how to get the bolts out 'properly' but did it a different way and its worked :D

Engine should be out by the end of the week i just need to make some space

If you've never done driveshafts before don't let them bother you, they were my bugbear when I was doing the clutch on the 106, but very easy in fact. No trouble whatsoever!

its mainly the fact the gearbox is nearly twice the size of the engine so i imagine it will be very heavy and all the boost pipes are covering it :D

Back