Headlight Removal

I am trying to access the fuse box beneath the nearside headlight to investigate why my rear windscreen wiper is not working.

To do this I need to remove the nearside headlight. I have removed the 2 obvious bolts for the headlight and removed the front grille to access the 3rd headlight fixing.

A previous post says this 3rd fixing will be a 10mm bolt, but the fixing on my car looks different (attached picture). I have tried turning the slot with a screwdriver, but this feels like I am going to break the connection. I have put my hand behind but there doesn't appear to be any nut or bolt I scan unscrew. The back of the connection looks like the attached sketch.

Does anyone have any idea what this connection is and how I might get it off? (and put it back!)
image1.JPG 2015-05-02 14.38.47.jpg

Its a body clip. The central part has a taper that when its pushed in the taper pushes plastic "fingers" outwards and it holds the parts together.
Almost like a pop rivet. You need to feel for the central part in the back and push it forward, which will allow the "fingers" to become smaller and fit through the hole. You can try and unscrew it like a normal screw and the centre should come out. They are not too expensive and any place that sells body parts should have. I ended up replacing a bunch, but that's a whole different story.
Bad news is that its not the third bolt holding the headlight on. It is a 10mm bolt and I ended up taking the front bumper off to get to it. Looking at the photo you attached, it will be on the bottom right of the light unit, behind the plastic of the bumper.

Good luck. Be gentle and patient. The light unit breaks very easy.

The module under the nearside headlamp is the intelligent Power distribution module (IPDM). There are many useful information threads if you search for IPDM on the MSC, or follow the links below. This is the can bus data input/output interface power module and is central to the control of multiple electrical systems on the vehicle.

Reference; https://www.micra.org.uk/search/7105102/?q=IPDM&o=relevance

https://www.micra.org.uk/search/7105298/?q=Rear+wiper&o=relevance&c[node]=25

Have you established beyond doubt that there is no power and a satisfactory earth at the rear wiper? Often this failure is due to broken copper conductors inside the cable sheaths to the rear door located near the door hinges?

I find it incredible that the fuses are not accessible in the engine bay without having to remove bumpers and a headlight!!!

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Back