Are there any?

Hyundai

Buy & Sell Member
Are there any programs that like.. simulates a combustion engine?

Also, I was just wondering if this is correct.

1 RPM = 1 Full rotation of an object on a constant axis. (Crank Shaft)

For every stage (Suck, Squash, Bang and Blow) one of the pistons is providing a bang to aid the other piston to squash (So it can aid the next piston to squash, and the cycle goes on).

Now, 1 RPM = 2 Stages (Because 1 rotation would mean the piston would need to go down then up, or up then down. Etc).

So if there is a bang for every stage, regardless of which piston.. and I'm.. let's say.. driving down the motorway at 70mph, 5th gear doing 3500RPM.

So 3500RPM x 2 = 7000.

So therefore the engine is producing 7000 bangs a minute?

And producing ~166 Bangs a second? Is this correct? Lol.

I'm fairly certain youll be doing 3500 bangs per minute as the rev counter works off your distributor? I've never really thought about it lol I'm usually associated with 2strokes which are a lot simpler :p

the RPM is the number of revolutions of the crank shaft in a minute.

if you had a single cylinder four stroke engine this would be 2 revolutions per ignition.

in the micra (and most other cars) the engine has 4 cylinders that work in pairs, two are up when two are down, but they dont fire in pairs as it is a four stroke but you will still get 2 ignitions per revolution.

like this:
first revolution
cylinder 1 and 4 are up, cylinder 2 and 3 are down and cylinder 1 is firing
cylinder 1 and 4 are down, cylinder 2 and 3 are up and cylinder 3 is firing
second revolution
cylinder 1 and 4 are up, cylinder 2 and 3 are down and cylinder 4 is firing
cylinder 1 and 4 are down, cylinder 2 and 3 are up and cylinder 2 is firing

so 1000 RPM = 2000 ignitions per minute or 33ish ignitions per second.

It's pretty insane when you think that 1000rpm is 33ish ignitions per second. So 7000rpm must be like, 210ish ignitions per second?

yup!

I used teh evaluation version of this for a while...then teh eval period ran out...lol
I think I will buy a copy though

it does require that you know a lot of your engin's parameters....it took me a while to collect these.

http://www.performancetrends.com/Engine-Analyzer.htm

not so good for absolute figures...but great for making comparrisons if youve got a certain change / mod in mind

Short block stuff eg:

baring number and sizes
cylinder dimentions & config
crank & rod

Carb type and specs

cylinder head specs:

throat sizes valve lift

exhause outlet config & dimensions etc

Tonnes of other stuff...the best way to check it out would be to download teh evel verssion and have a play.

what about those motorbikes that can rev upto 14k ;)

I stuck a rev counter on my minimoto to see out of interest what it did, I was hitting nearly 18,000rpm down the straights, and when my mate came off his and the back wheel was in the air with the throttle stuck open his recorded a max of 22,000rpm lmao. I know there only little 2 strokes but it's still impressive.

Back