Any computer geniuses out there?

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hey all,

i got a problem with a computer i am building and i am at a loss, i am hoping there is someone out there who can help :)

ok i have a Geforce GT220 graphics card, it goes in the PCI-e x16 socket and all is well, it works great. but it wont fit in the case, so i need a riser card. i had a 90 degree solid one, but its not high enough and bends the wrong way, but it does work great.

so i got a flexible one, and it moves the graphics card perfectly to where i need it, and the computer boots up, but as windows is loading and i get the windows logo with the scrolling thing along the bottom, it just freezes and fully locks the computer.

i thought it was a cheap hongkong riser card, so i got another card. this one is much higher quality, it has big ground planes between the contacts, and each transmit line has its own capacitor, at both ends of the cable.

but still nothing. the computer boots fine all the way to windows when the graphics card is in normally, or at right angles. but when on either of the ribbon cables it freezes.

i tried modifying the graphics card so that it is powered from the power supply instead of the PCI-E socket, but that didn't work, so i am at a loss.

i need it to fit in this case so i can't get another. the graphics card is the smallest one i can find with HDCP so i have to use it.

any ideas? thanks!

Back