Anyone got a Motorcycle License?

Hyundai

Buy & Sell Member
Are bikes more fun than cars?

Also, how was the learning process and which bike do you currently have?

I was thinking of getting a license, I wanna' get a CBR125..

fwn

Yes

Easy enough but it seems to change every year at the minute. Get it done as soon as possible.

A Yamaha FZ6-N running about 97/98bhp.

CBR125?! hahahaha yes very pretty but slow. Get a CB125 for practicality rather than a CBR. If you want the racey good looks then get an Aprillia RS125.

When I was doing my test a guy was using his own CBR125 and he was struggling to keep up with me on the bike-school's Yamaha SR125 which is a bit of a cruiser look-a-like.

got a CBT and a Yamaha TZR 125. 2 stroke engine, fast and fun.

Highly recommended, or get an NSR, or any 2 stroke sports :)

CBT is a piece of #### and cheap to do.

Will be doing full license soon i hope :)

I honestly prefer 2 wheels to 4 :)

Yea i have a CBT its easy! you can not fail it, if you fail it you probally have to have one arm one leg and one eye. An insurance wise shouldnt be very expensive at all, although you can not transfer no claims bonuses between motorbikes and cars! very stupid i no. a 125 at 19 depending on location insurance should be like 200-300quid TPFT.

Sounds very reasonable! - I'm just a little worried because riding a motor-cycle sure seems fun, but is very dangerous. Experiences?

Yeah ended up in hospital a couple of times, nothing serious. Tore the tendons in my left wrist once and haven't ridden for a while. Rebuilt the bike and my arm now so should be on the road come Wednesday.

Get yourself over to www.bikerforum.co.uk and they will give you some good advice on your first bike and getting a licence. I suggest you get a comuter style bike as the sports bikes with clipon bars are difficult to handle and very easily dropped

Aged 18 I insured a 125 for £290 a year, bargain and load of fun

Sounds very reasonable! - I'm just a little worried because riding a motor-cycle sure seems fun, but is very dangerous. Experiences?

ahh well im not going to lie to you nearlly everyone crashes there bike. I crashed my ped last year, slide on my side all the way down a hill. Didnt really hurt just a scrape then got up kicked it over and drove home and was very anoyed because just had it sprayed aswell lol.

pete, i had an sr125 and got me here there and everywhere lol :D i also had a tzr125 which i still have loveingly retored in the garage :D

i onli ever come off mine twice in a year about a month ago i slid of on ice then about 6 months ago it was raining rather a lot went round a corner hit a grid 45 and ended up in some old womens garden wall lol

sporty bikes with small engines are such a disappointment lol i had a banger and it was much more fun overtaking mopeds on that, an old cg125, really cheap to buy easy to work on and go on forever, learnt and did my licence on it had some fun then sold it, 2 years is up in june so ill be insuring a vfr800 and being very careful, but yeh ive come of a moped once (just cuts and scratchs) you get over it

Yup been riding about 2 years now

and yes bikes beat cars in every way (fact! :D)! i've got an 09 GSX-R 600 130bhp 0-60 in about 2 seconds and i tell you what knowing your on something that can beat £100,000 cars is fantastic :D the only car i worry about coming accross is a veyron :p

handinling is amazing for me its all about corners on the bike, track days are a must as well! espicially if you want to use the bike to its full potential. i've only pushed the bike to 160 on the track but man it was awesome!

i still love my mr2 but when it come to smiles its bike all the way! plus i dont have to sit in traffic on the commute to work which was the main reason i got a bike.

do it! but get the right protective gear, and be safe!

oh and dont waste your time with 125's you will get bored very quickly, do a direct access course and get a tame 500, i had a GS500f for my first bike and it was perfect for begineers, MPG was insane (£10 = 220miles+)

it had just the right of power about 47bhp, but went very nicely and sounded great.

I gotta disagree there, a 125 is definitely the place to start, top speed of 65 and the front wheel stays on the ground, perfect if you've never riden a bike before

I don't know... If you can't outrun police helicopters what is the point of a bike?!!!!! lol

i got a bike out in the garden under a cover, its been there since i came off it. its an aprilla pegaso 125, looks so beautiful and it was fairly quick, i have video somewhere of it doing 90mph

i was gonna do it up, but its alot of work that i don't have the money for and its an italian import so everything for it is more money....

bikes are great fun but obviously they have nothing on cars when it comes to safty, especially in the wet. at 100mph you can have a crash in a car and still be fine, if you are lucky, on a motorbike you are very lucky if you are not dead or dying. but then no one here should be doing those kinds of speeds anyway.

i would love to get one of the more powerful bikes, but the problem is you get this weird self distructive power over you when you get on a bike, it makes you want to overtake everything. i overtook a lorry only to find another one coming the other way, luckily there was enough space for me to be between them as they passed but it was close.

when you have the power to do stupid speeds its very hard to resist, imagine twisting your right hand and suddenly be doing from 30 to 90mph? its easily done, you will never get that out of a car.

Yeah but with a car it's tempting to go faster, you just do the same on a bike and save it for the track. I find bikes much more dangerous at lower speeds (I came off twice at around 20 mph)

It is addictive to whip the throttle open and suddenly be doing stupid speeds but if you've got some self control and the skills you should generally be ok on a bike. Treat every cager like the idiot they are.

I gotta disagree there, a 125 is definitely the place to start, top speed of 65 and the front wheel stays on the ground, perfect if you've never riden a bike before

well personal opinion i guess, when i did my cbt i thought the 125 was great. but after riding a 500 which was far smoother power delivery i have to say i felt the 500 was a much better bike to learn on, and i used to push my 500 very hard and never got the front wheel up.

but then im not stupid enough to try it. hell i dont even get the wheel up on my 600 and that has massive power.

either way the gs500 is a perfect first bike of that there can be no deny. seeing as almost every bike school in the country uses them ;)

It is addictive to whip the throttle open and suddenly be doing stupid speeds but if you've got some self control and the skills you should generally be ok on a bike. Treat every cager like the idiot they are.

indeed i like to think i'm very controlled on my bike, but i do have friends who are complete idiots on their bikes. most motorcycle accidents i've know about or seen have been due to overconfident riders doing stupid things.

theres a time and place for riding like a loon and thats a track, so when you fall off you dont get decapitated by a barbed wire fence or killed by a street light. which has happend to two people i know so far :(

enjoy the ride, but be safe! :)

have you seen the ghost rider vids? Theres one of a dude lapping paris in a stupid amount of time. Great to watch, but you do see some horrific crashes sometimes.

Just had an argument with my Dad, saying he doesn't want me to ride a bike.. regardless of the fact that when he was my age he stole them and ran the #### out of them. I know that isn't really a valid point. I just hate the hypocrisy. He started screaming at me in the middle of Morrisons and nearly broke my gear stick by punching it.

He's so cynical; he thinks I want a bike just to race people, regardless of the fact that he knows how much of a responsible driver I am. Countless times I have had him shout at me in the car for driving too slow. Now I want a bike for speed? - I cannot win.

Someone give me some good valid points before I blow my brain to pieces all over my wall.

In london they are practical. How much is an all zone yearly pass? How much does it cost/how long does it take to get to work/college/wherever?

My mum said she'd never let me have a bike whilst I lived under her roof, she ended up buying me my first scoot when I was 16! It was the cheapest and easiest way to get to/from work home and college.

the problem is not motorbikes, is car drivers who cannot drive and never drive with due care an attension... the amount of times people have changed lanes and nearly crushed me... bloody cars! amazes me who is allowed a driving licence these days!

bikes are not the problem;

the problems are
A. car drivers who dont pay attension
B. reckless bike riders

bikes are perfectly safe if riden correctly

the problem is not motorbikes, is car drivers who cannot drive and never drive with due care an attension... the amount of times people have changed lanes and nearly crushed me... bloody cars! amazes me who is allowed a driving licence these days!

bikes are not the problem;

the problems are
A. car drivers who dont pay attension
B. reckless bike riders

bikes are perfectly safe if riden correctly
i tottaly agree you get so many idiots pulling out on you and just not a care in the world

i did my motorbike test this year. i did my cbt in january, and then my test in march. bikes are a lot more fun. loads of my mates etc ask why a bike, wheni have a car, but i like having a choice, and lets be honest, micra's arent thrilling to drive, especially not compared with an xr400! insurance is a lot cheaper than car insurance too. plus, my work paid for my cbt =]
i learnt on a cg125, which is a classic little bike.
i only had half a day rider tuition, but the experience of already doing my driving test really helped too. get it done!

Loads of my mates have bikes. ALL of them without exception HATE riding around London. They all feel that at some point they will be killed by another driver. Out of town however they love them.

Back