RHD converted to LHD

CMF_Ziggy

» CMF Member
Hi there.
I plan to purchase a March/Micra converted from RHD to LHD.
I am unsure of the conversion quality, but I reckon a LHD steering rack, suspension bits, AC, brake lines would have to be checked/replaced.

There is a local released Verita but is 3 times the price of the converted one. Parts will be sourced locally.

Budget is low at the moment but I'm not in a hurry to drive her on the road. Would be a slow build.

Opinions if a converted Micra would be a good investment.
Thanks

CMF_baguete

» CMF Member
The firewalls are different, you need to drill the spot welds to take it out and weld the LHD firewall to the RHD car.

I did that conversion, RHD March to LHD SuperS, but used a LHD SuperS chassis to put all the March parts, no chassis mods. The RHD steering column can be installed on a LHD car, you just need to file one of the top holes. You need to install the March steering column in order to use the stalkers/supports, they are different from other Micras.

The interior wiring can be installed in the same location, but the engine loom (not the ECU loom) is the wrong way around, you need to make wires extensions, but it´s not a big deal. ECU loom is plug and play.

The minor electrical mods are side repeaters wiring, as they will light on the wrong side of the car (and then the cluster will show the wrong side), same with the electric mirrors and other stuff like that. The RHD wiper motor has a different plug from the LHD version and will only line up on 2 holes, but it works fine.

The pedals are a bit different, but i think that you can use all but the accelerator pedal, has a different bend.

I think the best bet is to get a LHD car and put all the RHD parts on it (like did), all works and you can use the normal dash. The rest of the RHD interior is plug and play, just need to pay attention while installing the seats because they don't line up 100%, you need to force them to go to the right place, but is just a few milimeters. You need to make a hole on the floor carpet so you can access the boot/fuel cap handle.

Is it Auto or manual transmission? Has auto-AC, normal AC or no AC?

CMF_Ziggy

» CMF Member
Thanks for the detailed responses, really appreciate them.
sorry I wasn't clear enough on the plans for the micra.

please bear with me on this long post.

1. The Micra I plan to buy was already converted from RHD to LHD.
- from our country, there are some notorious/shoddy conversions from RHD to LHD, hence I would like to check and replace as much as I can to have the proper conversion
- why purchase the converted micra you might ask? it's cheaper and I only have the budget atm for this. kids are growing and I want to buy now and do a slow build rather than save up (if i can save lol)and buy a proper LHD.
- Manual with CG10DE, A/C
- initial build would be a GA16DE then decide from there on any future plans

2. Nissan Verita (donor car?)
- original LHD which was released here locally about '00-'03
- only came in A/T with CG13DE
- why not Verita? very expensive (3 times the price of a converted Micra) should be around 6K USD compared with 2K USD
- I can't afford to buy this. I can only come up to purchase a few bits and pieces which are original LHD.

I need a small car to zigzag its way into our small and busy streets. There are other cars out there but I am sold on the Micra.
I've been researching here and other sites as well, but makes sense to ask you guys directly who have already done the conversion.

Back