Any Tips RE: Clutch Install...

cisco

» CMF Member
Clean all traces of dirt/dust out, and re-grease the fork pivots and slider arm and smooth surfaces with high temperature grease.

You can centre the clutch without a centering tool, by sticking your finger in each equal third portion of the clutch inside these little gaps. If the gaps you feel to touching into the friction plate are equal for all 3, the clutch is in centre.

When you put the car back together after its all done, start the car back up first before putting all the battery and other rubbish back in the way, because you might need adjust the cable again as soon as you feel how the car is when you start it up.

If you have a lower control brace, it makes things tricky, but you can kind of use that as a pivot to sit the gearbox up on when you're putting the gearbox back in the car by yourself.

Replace the release bearing even if the existing one seems fine.

Have fun.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
its always like this insnt it. There is always one snag. Well after removing all of the gear selector shafts and the buffer rod, i had another go at that nut, finally succeeding (need to fit new engine mount)

now i cant remember what i did on the last car to stop the motor from turning over when im trying to undo the clutch cover blots?

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
Good onya mate, all coming together.

Is the flywheel damaged or pitted at all?

Because its actually says in the NISSAN workshop manual that you don't need to machine the flywheel. Just go over it with some emory paper. When I changed white super s's clutch recently, the flywheel was in perfect condition (luckily only the pressure and friction plates were shagged), so I just sanded the flywheel lightly, and all is perfect.

CMF_eM

» CMF Member
i know this is kind of off topic but stylin got a new clutch a few weeks ago and its SOOOO much nicer to drive now. I don't think ill be breaking any clutch cables for a long time.
I hope everything goes well for you alex, it will be worth it when you're done :) :)

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
Flywheel isn't scored, the pressure plate was though. It just has heaps of gunk on it > think it felt abit lumpy, maybe that was the gunk, probably dosnt need machine then :p

Put a 28mm??? socket on the crank pulley, then a breaker bar on that, then turned the motor over until the breaker bar pushed against the RH Hub + Control Arm Assembly = no more engine turning over,

does anyone know what the go is with the front buffer rod / engine mount? the bottom part of mine is really loose and you can pull the rubber insert out, hardly a snug fit.

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
install so far. not much installing going on :p bout to get to that now

also replace three engine mounts, engine is currently sitting via two jacks with no mounts. Also was meant to make one cv shaft from two, vbut im out of time for that,

off to the garage,

Alex

Attachments

• 12704.jpg
    12704.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 10

cisco

» CMF Member
Good on ya mate, getting there.
Car will be LOVELY after this.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
F**************************ing stoopid gooner > i am.

forgot too put that piece of sheet metal back on. ARGH, i have everthing back on, struggled with gearbox for for 40min to get it on,

bleh,

gonna have a breather then sadly pull off gearbox, clutch, flywheel.

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
DOH!!!!!!!!

I hate that plate thing aswell.

Rest up, then go in hard and smash it (finish it that means).

Ahh cars can be the bain of your life can't they.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
all done.

got myself a gearstick rattle in the process. have to get back under and adjust that bolt

and i broke the lower radiator fan support when lower the gearbox out the first time. think its hitting th radiator on heavy accel,

about to go on big drive, hope it stays together :p,

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
heh, thanks,

well made it to uni :p w000 i can't believe how soft this clutch pedal now is. I'm driving around like a goose with appauling gearchanges, haha, so funny. That noise i though was the rad fan hitting, its the cat converter heatsheild vibrating on the gearstick. Only happens when your accelerating rapidly. Need to bend it back down again.

I will never do a clutch install again, much rather pay somebody else to do it. But it was a fun journey though,

sorry i didn't take any pics after that first one, was far too annoyoid

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
I agree, its a very frustrating job, especially with more stuff in the way like ABS/Air con etc. I also got annoyed and promised I wouldn't do it again.

I've had the gearbox out about 4 times now I think, and you honestly get quicker every time though. It gets better. You don't usually make the same simple mistakes again. That's the only reason the shops are so quick at doing it, they do them all the time and have it down pat.

Blue Monster's pressure plate has some minor heat damage (bent teeth on the pressure plate) causing the clutch pedal to vibrate. To fix it, it needs to come off the car and be bent back into shape. Something I'll consider doing one day when I can be bothered. heh or maybe pay someone like you say.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Well done Alex. I would never do one on my own. Luckily with Laurie I can use his garage, all his stuff, he helps and well costs me about 1/3 the labour costs if it went say to a dealer plus I know its done 100% and well I learn heaps in the process.
Poor old Laurie he is a rotary nut BUT has fallen for the mighty Micra big time.Guess the dark side got him also.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Never done the whole gearbox/clutch change before. Was going to atempt to do it at the start of the year with a few mates and just gave my mechanic a quick call to see what the damage would be, For the cost i what much perfer for him to do it,plus its a big time factor aswell.

Back